You are here: Home Eastern Europe Ukraine PLISKOV
PLISKOV PDF Print E-mail
PLISKOV I:     US Commission No. UA01540101
The town is located at 49°22 29°17, 56 km from Vinnitsa, 22 km from Pogrebishthe and 91.8 miles SW of Kiev. The cemetery is located at SE part of village on Shevchenko Str. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
  • Town: Village Soviet Chairman- Polishthuk Nikolay Yakovlevich [tel. (071) 29189].
  • Jewish Community of Vinnitsa, Chairman Desner.
  • Regional: Regional State Archives of Vinnitsa.
     The earliest known Jewish community was 18th century. 1926 Jewish population was 1322. Effecting the Jewish community was 1941-1945 mass executions the Jews of Pliskov and Spichentchy. The last known Hasidic Jewish burial was in 1954. No other towns or villages' used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated rural (agricultural) flat land of a hillside and ravine has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing public collective fields and farmstead on 29 Shewchenko Str, access is open to all with no wall, gate, or fence. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII was 2.80 and is now 1.50 hectares. 21-100 stones, most in their original location, date from 19th to 20th century. Location of removed stones is unknown. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. The municipality owns site used for Jewish cemetery and the private farmstead with the kitchen garden. Properties adjacent are agricultural and private farmsteads. The cemetery boundaries are smaller now than 1939 because of housing development and private farmsteads. Rarely, private visitors and local residents visit. The cemetery was not vandalized in the last ten years. Jewish individuals within country cleaned stones and cleared vegetation to 1941 with no maintenance since. Within the limits of the cemetery is a private farmstead. Serious threat: pollution (waste dump), vegetation (the cemetery partly overgrown). In 1960, part of the cemetery became a farmstead; part of the tombstones was demolished). Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion, existing and proposed nearby development.
     Sokolova Eleonora Eugen'evna of 253152 Kiev, 5 Tychiny St., apt. 68 [tel. (044) 5505681] visited site and completed survey on 06/10/96. Kucher Galina Eugen`evna of 29 Shevchenko str. was interviewed on 06/10/96.
    UPDATE: "...the site of a mass massacre was also dug up." Source: Jewish Heritage Report: http://www.isjm.org/jhr/nos3-4/ukrcem.htm [March 2002]
PLISKOV II:     US Commission No. UA01540501
The 1941 mass grave is located at village center on farmstead at 5 Lenina Str. No other towns or villages' Jews were murdered in this unlandmarked mass grave. The isolated rural (agricultural) flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road and the territory of the 5 Lenina Str farmstead, access is open with permission. A broken fence without gate surrounds the mass grave. The approximate size is now 0.07 hectares. No stones are visible. The site contains unmarked mass graves. Municipality owns site used for poultry-yard of the farmstead. Properties adjacent are residential. The mass grave boundaries are larger now than 1939. Rarely, private visitors or local residents stop. The mass grave was vandalized occasionally in the last ten years with no maintenance. Within the limits of the site are no structures. Very serious threat: pollution (poultry-yard). Serious threat: existing nearby development (it is the economy building near the cemetery-sic) and proposed nearby development (In all probability, building will expand). Moderate threat: uncontrolled access and weather erosion (seasonal). Slight threat: vegetation.
     Sokolova Eleonora Eugen'evna of 253152 Kiev, 5 Tychiny St., apt. 68 [tel. (044) 5505681] visited site and completed survey on 06/10/96. Voroshthuk Mariya Grigirievna of 1 Lenina str. [tel. (071) 29142] was interviewed on 06/10/96.
PLISKOV III:     US Commission No. UA01540502
The mass grave is located 3 km W of Pliskov, at right of road to Spichentsy.
  • Local: Village SovietKommunhoz of Manager-Ilchenko Vladimir Vasilievich [tel. (071) 29335].
  • Regional: Oblispolkom of Vinnitsa.
  • Others: Region Archives of Pogrebishthe Manager Vilun Olesya Vasilievna [tel. (04346) 21940]
The Jewish mass grave was dug in 1941 with last known Jewish burial in 1945. Spictenthsy (7 km away) Jews were murdered in this unlandmarked mass grave. The isolated flat land between fields and woods has signs or plaques in local language and Russian mentioning the Holocaust and Russianss. Reached by turning directly off a public road and crossing public property collective field and forest, access is open to all with no wall, gate, or fence. The approximate size is now 0.10 hectares. 1-20 stones, all in original location, date from 1976. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces. Municipality owns site used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are agricultural and forest. The mass grave boundaries are larger now than 1939. Occasionally, organized individual tours, private visitors and local residents stop. The mass grave was vandalized occasionally in the last ten years. Local/municipal authorities re-erected stones and cleared vegetation in 1976. Authorities occasionally clean or clear. Within the limits of the site are no structures. Very serious threat: uncontrolled access and vandalism (In October 1996, the act of vandalism was "looking for the gold"). Moderate threat: weather erosion (seasonal) and vegetation (seasonal). Slight threat: pollution.
     Sokolova Eleonora Eugen'evna of 253152 Kiev, 5 Tychiny St., apt. 68 [tel. (044) 5505681] visited site and completed survey on 07/10/96. Voroshthuk Mariya Grigorievna of 1 Lenina St., Pliskov [tel. (071) 29142] was interviewed on 06/10/96.
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution