PLEBANOVKA: US Commission No. UA19250501
Alternate name: Plebanivka (Ukraine). Plebanovka is located in Ternopolskaya at 48°55 25°45, 2 km from Terebovlya and 75 km from Chernovtsy. The mass grave is located in the field, 150 m NW of railroad. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 18th century. 1939Jewish population (census) was 38. The Jewish mass grave was dug in 1941 with last known Hasidic Jewish burial 1944. No other towns or villages' Jews were murdered in this unlandmarked mass grave. The isolated rural (agricultural) hillside has signs or plaques in local language and Hebrew mentioning Jews and the Holocaust. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with a continuous fence but no gate. 1-20 common tombstones all in original location with none toppled or broken, date from 1985. The site contains marked mass graves. Municipality owns site used for Jewish cemetery only. See at section 14 [sic]. Properties adjacent are agricultural. The mass grave boundaries are larger now than 1939. Occasionally, organized individual tours and Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors stop. This mass grave was not vandalized. Regional/national authorities been re-erected stones in 1985. Authorities occasionally clean or clear. Within the limits of the site are no structures. Slight threat: weather erosion, pollution and vegetation.
- Town: Village Executive Council, Andruh Vladimir Mikhaylovich [tel. (071) 21103].
- Local: Regional Executive Council, Matviykiv Nikolay Mikhaylovich [tel. (03551) 21178].
- Regional: Oblast State Administration, Skibnyavskiy Mikhail Vasilyevich [tel. (03522) 25225].
- Jewish Community 'Alef', Paren Nuta Elyevich [tel. (03522) 69323].
- Others: Main Architect of Terebovlya Region, Kovalchuk Nikolay Fedorovich [tel. (03551) 21093] Local History Museum, Strotsen Bogdan Stepanovich [tel. (03522) 53592] Cultural Memorial Protection Society, Birkova Aleksandra Tadeevna [tel. (03522) 26053].
Hodorkovskiy Yuriy Isaakovich of Kiev, Vozduhoflotskiy Prospect 37 a, apt.23 [tel. (044) 2769505] visited site and completed survey on 22/04/1996. Interviewed were Strotsen Bogdan Stepanovich of Ternopol, Isskustv Square 3 on 16/04/1996. Documentation: see at section 14 [sic].