PECHENEZHIN: US Commission No. UA08040101
Alternate name: Petchinizhin (Polish), Peczenizyn (Russian) and Peczynizyn (Ukraine). Pechenezhin is located in Ivano-Frankovskaya at 48°31 24°54, 15 km from Kolomiya, 75 km from Ivano-Frankovsk and 82 km from Chernovtsi. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 18th century. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 1413. Living here was Rabbin Gersh from Pechenezhin. Buried here is Rabbin Gersh from Pechenezhin. The last known Hasidic Jewish burial was 1939. No other towns or villages' used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated suburban agricultural crown of a hill has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a private road, access is open to all with no wall, gate, or fence. 501-5000 stones, most in original location with 25%-50% toppled or broken, date from 1810 to 20th century. Location of removed stones is unknown. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. The municipality owns site used for Jewish cemetery and agriculture (crops or animal grazing). Properties adjacent are agricultural and residential. The cemetery boundaries are smaller now than 1939 because of agriculture. Rarely, organized individual tours, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors and local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II and frequently in the last ten years. . Jewish individuals within country patched broken stones, cleaned stones and cleared vegetation but no maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem, disturbing both graves and stones. Water drainage is a seasonal problem. Very serious threat: uncontrolled access, vegetation and vandalism. Moderate threat: weather erosion and pollution. Slight threat: existing and proposed nearby development.
- Local: Kolomiyskiy rayispolkom.
- Regional: Ivano-Frankovskiy oblispolkom.
Oks Vladimir Moiseevich of 270065,Odessa, Varnenskaya St. 17D, Apt. 52 [tel. (0482) 665950] visited site on 8/8/94 and completed survey on 08/08/1994. Interviewed were local non-Jewish residents. Documentation: Stuphicki P.N. Galiciya pod wzqledem topografizno- geografizno- historieznum. Lwow. 1848.