ALTERNATE NAMES: MONASTYRYS'KA and Монастириська [UKR], MONASTERZYSKA [POL], MONASTRISHTCH [YID], MONASTYRISKA [RUS], MONASTERISHTCHE, MONASTERISKA, MONASTERYSKA, MONASTRISHCH, MONASTYRISCE, MONASTRISHTZ, Folwarki. 49°05' N, 25°10' E, 37 miles SSW of Ternopil (Tarnopol), 11 miles W of Buchach (Buczacz)..
he town was documented in 1433 and 1437 as the property of Knight Sigismund. 1880 Monastyryska Jewish population: 2292 (52.9%); in 1900 - 2463 (53.2%) in 1910 - 2041 (49.4%); 1168 (39.3%) in 1931 - 1488 Jews. 4 July 1941. First mention of Jews Monastyryska was 1625. In 1667, Jews participated in the defense of the Russian Monastyryska. First synagogue was built in the mid-17th century with cemetery. Hasidic Rabbi Dovid was in Monastyryska Zvi Oyerbah (1743 Stanislav - 1808 Mogilev), Most Jews were Monastyryska Chassidim. operated Since 1894 the Zionist Organization. Main occupations of the Jews in the 19th - early. 20 centuries. - Crafts and trade in the late 19th century was mostly by Jews who owned pharmacy, 10 shops, 2 hairdressers, shoe repair and tailor workshop. In 1910 Monastyryska had 4 synagogues and a school founded in 1891 by Baron Hirsche school network "Safa Broer, "founded in 1900 In 1921. Wehrmacht occupied Monastirisku in In August 1941. Judenrat was established, headed by Sh.Shapiro. August 10. 1941 Jews were killed. 7. March 24, 1942 from Monastirisku Jews were deported from Koropets and in June - from the surrounding villages. October 5. 1942 about one thousand Jews were sent to Belzec extermination camp, several dozen killed on the spot. The remaining Jewswere deported in late October.1942 to Bucac. About 20 Jews returned after liberation.. After 1945, on the site of two Jewish cemeteries were broken squares, the Great Synagogue was converted into a warehouse. see photos. [Mar 2014] photohunt.org.ua / Monastyriska.html