|MARIUPOL [ZHDANOV, MARYUPOL]"|
ALTERNATE NAMES: MARIUPOL' [RUS МАРИУПОЛЬ / ЖДАНОВ, UKR Маріуполь], ZHDANOV [RUS, 1948-1989], MARYUPOL and מאַריופּאָל[YID]. Greek: Μαριούπολις.. 47°06' N, 37°33' E, In SE Ukraine, on the Azov Sea, at the mouth of the Kalmius River..
Mariupol, formerly (1948-89) Zhdanov, city, southeastern Ukraine. It lies along the estuary of the Kalmius and Kalchik rivers, 6 miles (10 km) from the Sea of Azov. Mariupol originated as a 16th-century Cossack fortress and administrative centre named Kalmius. It was renamed Pavlovsk in 1775 after Russia assumed control over it, and in 1780 it became Mariupol after a large number of Greeks from the Crimean Peninsula were resettled there.
Jewish history [Apr 2014]
Jewish Community contqacts [Apr 2014]
KehlaLink [Apr 2014]
photos. [Apr 2014]
95 burials with photos [Apr 2014]
|Last Updated on Sunday, 13 April 2014 12:56|