You are here: Home Eastern Europe Ukraine KULIKOV
KULIKOV PDF Print E-mail
KULIKOV:     US Commission No. UA13610101
Alternative names: German: Kulikov Polish: Kulikow Other: Boszcz (15th century). It is located in Lvovskaya oblast at 49÷59' 41÷45', 16 km from Lvov. The cemetery is located at the west part of the village at Shevchenko St. 33. Present town population is 1000-5000 with no Jews.
-- Town officials: Village Soviet chairman Shpek Teodoziy Silvestrovich, tel.: 31182; center of the village, Shevchenko St., 2.
-- Regional officials: Lvov Regional State Administration, Lvov Vinnichenko St., 18, reception room, tel.: 722947, 728093. Lvov Center State Historical Archives (CSHA), Sobornaya square, 3a, tel.: 723508.
-- Lvov Jewish Community "Beis Aaron ve Israel", Lvov Mikhnovskih St., 4, Rabbi Mordekhai Shloime Bold, tel.: 330524.
     The earliest mention of Jewish community is 1544. 1900Jewish population was about 1000. Effecting Jewish community: Ukrainian-Polish War (1648-1654); Holocaust (1941-1943); meeting of VAADs of Russian land in 1690 and in firsthalf of the18th century. Samson Bokh, the author of "Shebile Olam" (1830) and tzadakkim family from Kulikov, descendants of Rokakh's family, lived here. The cemetery was created in 2nd half of 17th century with last known Belzkie Hasidic burial in 1930s. Zhovtantsy, about 13 km away, used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated urban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off the road, access is completely closed. The cemetery is locked without caretaker. The owner is Lebedin Roman (address is unknown) of property to be used for future building. The cemetery is surrounded by continuous wooden fence with locked gate. The approximate size of the cemetery before the World War II and now is 0.3 hectares. There are no visible tombstones. The cemetery contains no mass gravesThe cemetery borders residential area. The cemetery boundaries are the same as in 1939. Rarely, private visitors stop here. The cemetery was vandalized during the World War II and between 1945 and 1981. There has been no care or restoration. Within the cemetery are houses. The site is a private property, where new construction is planned.
     Iosif Gelston, Lvov, 290049, PO Box 10569, tel./fax: (0322) 227490 completed survey on 4.10.1998. Documentation: CSHA, Lvov, Fond 186, ASK ad 1, # 35, k. 533-534 v.-acts of royal courts of Poland; Slownik Geograficzny Krolewstwa Polskiego., T.4, Warszawa, 1881, St. 862 (in Polish); Plan of Lvov region, 1992, scale 1:200000. Iosif Gelston visited on 2.10.1998. Local old citizens who would not give their names were interviewed.
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution