Alternate names: Korsun'-Shevchenkovskiy [Rus, since 1944], Korsun' [Rus, until 1944], Korsun-Shevchenkivskyi [Ukr], Korsuń Szewczenkowski [Pol], Korsun-Schewtschenkiwskyj [Ger], Karun' Sheychenkovskaya, Russian: Корсунь-Шевченковский. Ukrainian: Корсунь-Шевченківський. 49°26' N, 31°15' E, 76 miles SSE of Kyyiv (Kiev), 56 miles ESE of Bila Tserkva (Belaya Tserkov), 40 miles W of Cherkasy. 1900 Jewish population: 3,797.
KehilaLink: Created by Ukraine SIG / Ron Doctor. Webmaster: Richard Baum
KORSUN-SHEVCHENKOVSKIY I: US Commission No. UA23090101
Alternate names: Korsun (German) and Korsun-Shevchenkovskiy (Ukraine). Korsun-Shevchenkovskiy is located in Chercasskaya at 49º26 31º15, 120 km from Chercassy and 107 km from Uman. The cemetery is located at 258500, South, Kommunisticheskaya Street. Present town population is 5,001-25,000 with 101-1,000 Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 1644. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 2449. Effecting the Jewish Community were 1648 pogroms, 1702 pogroms, and 1919-1921 Civil War. The Jewish cemetery was established in 1944 with last known Hasidic burial in 1995. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A continuous fence with non-locking gate surrounds site. 101 to 500 stones, all in original location with none toppled or broken, date from 1944. The cemetery has no special sections. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces, other metallic elements, portraits on stones, and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains marked mass graves. The municipality owns the site used for agriculture (crops or animal grazing) and mass burial site. Adjacent properties are residential. The cemetery boundaries is larger now than 1939. Frequently, organized Jewish tour or pilgrimage groups, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors, and local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized occasionally in the last ten years. Jewish individuals within country cleared vegetation and fixed gate in 1944-1995. Now, occasionally, individuals clean or clear. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures.
Turman Bella of Chercass, Homenko St. 16, Apt.66 [Phone: (0472) 631272] visited site and completed survey on 10/9/95. No interviews were conducted.
KORSUN-SHEVCHENKOVSKIY II: US Commission No. UA23090102
The cemetery is located at 258500, South, Komunnisticheskaya Street. The Jewish cemetery was established in the 18th century with last known Hasidic burial in 1940. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated urban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds site. 21 to 100 common tombstones, most in original location with between 25%-50% toppled or broken, date from the 18th century. Removed stones were incorporated into roads or structures. The cemetery contains unmarked mass graves. The municipality owns the site used for agriculture (crops or animal grazing) and waste dumping. Adjacent properties are residential. The cemetery boundaries are smaller now than 1939 because of housing development. Occasionally, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors stop. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II and frequently in the last ten years. Jewish individuals within country cleared vegetation. Restoration was done in to 1956. There is no maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Serious threat: uncontrolled access and vandalism. Moderate threat: pollution. Slight threat: weather erosion and vegetation.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 13 September 2012 11:04|