You are here: Home Eastern Europe Ukraine POLESSKOYE: Khabnoe: [Kaganovichi, Polesskoye, Khabno., Chabna, Chabnoje, Khabnoye, Kaganowitsch, Kaganovichi, Kaganovichi Pervyye, Kaganovichi-Khabnoye] ]
POLESSKOYE: Khabnoe: [Kaganovichi, Polesskoye, Khabno., Chabna, Chabnoje, Khabnoye, Kaganowitsch, Kaganovichi, Kaganovichi Pervyye, Kaganovichi-Khabnoye] ] PDF Print E-mail

Alternate names: Polesskoye [Rus, since 1957], Kaganovich [Rus, 1934-57], Khabno [Rus, until 1934], Polis'ke [Ukr], Chabna [Yid], Chabne [Pol], Chabnoje, Khabnoye, Kaganowitsch, Kaganovichi, Kaganovichi Pervyye, Kaganovichi-Khabnoye.  Kaganovichi in 1934, and Polesskoye in 1957. 51°14' N, 29°23' E, Khabno was located in Kiev region of northern Ukraine on the Uzh River, a tributary of the Pripyat. In 1990's,after the Chernobyl nuclear disaster and high level of radioactive pollution,the population was resettled. Khabnoe is no longer registered as a place of habitation. Visits are only allowed by special permission:.Khabno is approx. 22 km from Narodichi, 57 km from Chernobyl and in 280 km from Kiev. 1900 Jewish population: 1,721.

 

CEMETERY and MASS GRAVE::

  • Information was retrieved from Lo-Tishkah website: Khabnoe had a synagogue. Fom the mid-1700s, a Jewish cemetery.existed. "The cemetery is located on Khmelevaia street near the former farm machinery office. Special permission is needed to visit the site as Khabno (Polisske) is located in the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone.The plaques reads as follows: 1941-45, Ніхто не забутий - Ніщо не забуто (Nobody is forgotte, Nothing is forgotten), Здесь в 1941 году фашистскими захватчиками расстреляно 252 Граждан Района (Here in 1941 Fascist occupiers killed 252 inhabitants of the region).The mass grave is surrounded by a green wooden fence. The area is rectangular and measures 52m x 18m. There is a bench. /The cemetery is partially demarcated by a wooden fence in a poor state of repair. The site is surrounded by a ditch. It was not possible to measure the site precisely as the visit was brief due to high levels of radiation.It is not possible to ascertain the number of gravestones at the cemetery as a result of thick vegetation. Between half and three-quarters of the visible gravestones are damaged. Gravestones are tablet-shaped, with inscriptions are in Russian and Hebrew. There is a caretaker's house on the grounds of the cemetery. The cemetery was abandoned in the late 1980s/early 1990s after the Chernobyl accident.Date Of The Oldest Known Gravestone:  1920Last Known Jewish Burial:  End of the 1980s/early 1990.The cemetery is situated within the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone and therefore pollution levels in the area are very high, vegetation growth is practically unchecked and the gravestones are suffering from weather erosion and the effects of vegetation.Holocaust mass grave: Grave locates along Taras Shevchenko street, on the way to Tarasi. 50m from the Poliske sign. / While the memorial sign mentions that 252 people were killed at this site, local researchers Fedor Maksimovich Gres and Grigory Ivanovich Ivanenko have established that 439 Jews were in fact killed and buried here in September 1941 and during 1942. 398 from Poliske, 20 from the village of Vovchiki and 7 from Zalishany were killed here in September 1941. 4 members of the Novak family from Poliske and 10 people from the village of Maksimovichy were shot here in 1942. A list of 262 names compiled by Mr Gres can be viewed in the photo gallery above (7 pages). " Jewish history and photos [Apr 2016]
Last Updated on Sunday, 03 April 2016 11:02
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution