GOROGNITSA: US Commission No. UA05030101
Gorognitsa is located in Zhitomirskaya, 116 km from Zhitomir, 129 km from Rovno and 29 km from Novograd-Volinskiy. Present town population is 5,001-25,000 with 11-100 Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 1847. 1926 Jewish population (census) was 1116. The last known Hasidic Jewish burial was 1991. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The hillside, by water and other, isolated, has no sign or marker. Access is open to all. A broken fence with gate that does not lock surrounds site. 101 to 500 stones, most in original location and between 25%-50% toppled or broken, date from 1906. Location of any removed stones is unknown. The cemetery has no special sections. Some tombstones have portraits and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains marked mass graves. The municipality owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural and other. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Local residents visit rarely. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II and not in the last 10 years. Local/municipal authorities cleaned stones, cleared vegetation and fixed gate. Now, individuals occasionally clean or clear site. Within the limits of the cemetery is a pre-burial house with chimney and an ohel. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem, disturbing graves. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion, vegetation and vandalism. Slight threat: pollution and proposed nearby development.
Kogan Leonid of Novograd-Volynskiy, Lenina Street 107,apt.42. [Phone: 54239] visited sie on 4/16/94. He completed survey on 06/28/1994. Interviewed were not listed.