You are here: Home Eastern Europe Ukraine GORODNYA
GORODNYA PDF Print E-mail
GORODNYA I (ALESHKINSKOYE): US Commission No. UA24220502
Alternate name: Gorodna (Yiddish) and Horodna (Polish). Gorodnya (Aleshkinskoye) is located in Chernigovskaya at 51º53 31º36, 5 km from Gorodnya. Present town population is 5,001-25,000 with 11-100 Jews.
     The earliest known Jewish community was first half 19 [sic]. 1926 Jewish population (census) was 1359. Living here was Rabbi Berlin. The Jewish mass grave was dug in 1941 for Gorodnya Jews only. The isolated rural (agricultural) flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A continuous fence surrounds the mass grave. The mass grave has no special sections. Stones date from 1975. The mass grave has only common tombstones. The site contains marked mass graves. Municipality owns the site now used for other. Adjacent properties are agricultural. The mass grave boundaries have not changed since 1939. Rarely, private visitor (Jews and non-Jews) and local residents visit. This mass grave never was vandalized. Now, authorities clear or clean occasionally. Within the limits of the mass grave are no structures. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion, pollution and vegetation. Slight threat: vandalism.
     Sokolova Eleonora Evgeniyevna of 253152, Kiev, Tychiny pr., 5, apt.68 [Phone: (044) 5505681] visited site and completed survey on 4/3/95. Interviewed were Azov Ayzek Lazarevich of Shevchenko Street, 16, apt.1 [Phone: (04645) 22939] on 3/3/95 and Mogilevets Nadejda Mihaylovna [Phone: (04546) 21136] on 3/3/95. Other documentation exists but was inaccessible.
GORODNYA II: (251510) US Commission No. UA24220101
The cemetery is located at south on Chernousa Street Present town population is 5,001-25,000 with 11-100 Jews. Others: Chernigov Oblast Archive of Frunze Street, 2 [Phone: (04622)74117].
     The earliest known Jewish community was first half 19 [sic]. 1926 Jewish population (census) was 1359. Jews living in town were Gabay David Buhdruker, Hevry-Kadyshe-Nevelev and Sheyhen, Avraam Runin. Rabbi Berlin is buried here. The last known Hasidic Jewish burial was 1993. Novklya (40 km away), Tupichev (24 km away), Ivashkovka (24km away), and Xripovka (24km away) used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated suburban rural (agricultural) flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A broken fence with gate that does not lock surrounds site. 101 to 500 stones, all in original location with no surviving stones toppled or broken, date from 1920. Location of any removed stones is unknown. The cemetery has special sections for men, women, rabbis, children, suicides and other. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces, other metallic elements, portraits on stones and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains marked mass graves. The municipality owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Jewish or non-Jewish visitors and local residents visited frequently. The cemetery was vandalized prior to World War II, during World War II and occasionally in the last 10 years. Jewish individuals within country have patched broken stones, cleaned stones and cleared vegetation. Now, individuals occasionally clean or clear site. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem, disturbing graves. Water drainage is a seasonal problem. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, vegetation and vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion.
     Sokolova Eleonora Evgeniyevna of 253152, Kiev, Tychiny pr., 5, apt.68 [Phone: (044) 5505681] visited site and completed survey on 2/3/95. Interviewed was Azov Ayzek Lazaryevich of Shevchenko Street, 16, apt.1 [Phone: (04645) 22939] on 2/3/95. Other documentation exists but was inaccessible.
GORODNYA III: (251510) US Commission No. UA24220501
The Jewish mass grave was dug in 1941 for Gorodnya Jews. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A continuous fence with no gate surrounds the mass grave. The approximate size of mass grave is now 0.01 hectares. No stones were removed. The mass grave has no special sections. The oldest known common tombstone dated from 1950. The site contains marked mass graves. Municipality owns the site now used for mass burial site. Adjacent properties are commercial or industrial. Occasionally, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors and local residents visit. This mass grave never was vandalized. Now, authorities clear or clean occasionally. Within the limits of the mass grave are no structures. Water drainage at the mass grave is a seasonal problem. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion, pollution, vegetation and vandalism.
Sokolova Eleonora Evgeniyevna of 253152, Kiev, Tychiny pr., 5, apt.68 [Phone: (044) 5505681] visited site and completed survey on 3/3/95. Interviewed were Azov Ayzek Lazaryevich of Shevchenko Street, 16, apt.1 [Phone: (04645) 22939] on 3/3/95 and Kukharyenko Elizavyeta Fillipovna [Phone: (04645)21410] on 3/3/95. Other documentation exists but was inaccessible.
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution