You are here: Home Eastern Europe Ukraine GORODENKA
GORODENKA PDF Print E-mail
GORODENKA:     US Commission No. UA08280101
Alternate name: Horodenka (German). Gorodenka is located in Ivano-Frankovskaya at 48º40 25º30, 50 km from Chernovtsy and 109 km from Ivano-Frankovsk. The cemetery is located at west part of town near Christian cemetery. Present town population is 5,001-25,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.
  • Town officials: Village Executive Council - Chairman Yarimovich Miraslav Vasilyevich [Phone: (03430) 22215].
  • Regional officials: Regional State Administration - Chairman Maksimyuk Stepan Pavlovich [Phone: (03430) 21402]. Oblast State Administration - Skripnichuk Vasiliy Mikhaylovich [Phone: (03422) 25280].
  • Jewish Community of Kolesnik Victor Pavlovich [Phone: (03422) 34894].
  • Main Architect of Gorodenka Region of Kotelko Miroslav Nikolayevich [Phone: (03430) 21816].
     The earliest known Jewish community was 17th century. 1900 Jewish population (census) was 3048. Effected Jewish Community: 1668-The Magdeburg Law, 1867-The Jews received all rights of Austro-Hungary, 1890-1900 was emigration to USA. Living here was Nahman Gorodenken (brother-in-arms of Baal-Shem-Tov). The Jewish cemetery was established in 17th century with last known Hasidic (Sadagorskaya, Vizhnitskaya) Jewish burial 1940. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The urban hillside and crown of a hill, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by Kotsyubinskogo Street, to hill, access is open to all. A broken fence with no gate surrounds the cemetery. 501 to 5000 stones, most in original location with between 50%-75% toppled or broken, date from the 18th to 20th century. Location of any removed stones is unknown. The cemetery has special section for old (17-18th c) and new (19-20th c). Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. The municipality owns the property now used for agriculture (crops or animal grazing) and waste dumping. Adjacent properties are recreational and residential. The cemetery boundaries are smaller now than 1939 because of new roads or highways. Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors and local residents visit occasionally. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II and occasionally in the last 10 years. There is no maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem, preventing access. Serious threat: uncontrolled access (60% of tombstones stolen), pollution (Uncontrolled access, vegetation, and vandalism. Moderate threat: weather erosion and existing nearby development. Slight threat: proposed nearby development.
     Hodorkovskiy Yuriy Isaakovich of Kiev, Vozduhoflotskiy Prospect 37a, Apt. 23 [Phone: (044) 2769505] visited site on 18/09/1996. He completed survey on 03/10/1996. Interviewed were Kotelko Miroslav Nikolayevich [Phone: (03430) 21816] on 18/09/1996. Documentation: Wasintynski: B. Ludnosc Zydowska w Polsce w wiekach XIX i XX Warszawa, 1930 Jewish Encyclopaedia.
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution