You are here: Home Eastern Europe Ukraine GORLOVKA
GORLOVKA PDF Print E-mail
GORLOVKA I:     US Commission No. UA04010102
Gorlovka is located in Donetskaya, 45 km from Donetsk and 12 km from Enakievo. Present town population is over 100,000 with 1,001-10,000 Jews.
  • Town officials: Mer Pihomov Valeriy Grigorievich of 40001.
     The earliest known Jewish community was 1890-1895. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 10,000. The last known Jewish burial was 1994. No other towns or villages used this landmarked cemetery. The suburban flat land, part of a municipal cemetery, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A broken fence with locking gate surrounds the cemetery. 501 to 5000 stones, most in original location, with less than 25% toppled or broken date from the 19th to 20th century. Location of any removed stones is unknown. The cemetery has no special sections. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces, portraits on stones, and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains marked mass graves. The municipality owns the property now used for other. Adjacent properties are commercial or industrial. The cemetery boundaries is larger now than 1939. Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors and local residents visit occasionally. The cemetery was vandalized occasionally in the last 10 years. Jewish individuals within country re-erected stones, cleaned stones, and cleared vegetation. Now, authorities clear or clean occasionally. Within the limits of the cemetery is a pre-burial house with a catafalque. Serious threat: vegetation. Moderate threat: pollution. Slight threat: uncontrolled access and vandalism.
     Kantor Yakov Filippovich on 6/15/94 visited site on 6/17/94. No interviews were conducted for this survey. Tsiputkin Grigoriy Efimovich of Donetsk-52, Vladiganskogo Street, 36 apt. 24 [Phone: 956936] on 06/28/1994 and Kantor Yakov Filippovich [Phone: 7-4908] and Juravskiy Isaak Abramovich completed survey.
GORLOVKA II:     US Commission No. UA04010101
Gorlovka is located in Donetskaya, 50 km from Donetsk and 20 km from Enakievo. The cemetery is located at Artemovskaya highway, Internationalnaya Street Present town population is 25,001-100,000 with 1,001-10,000 Jews.
     The earliest known Jewish community was end 19th century. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 10,000. The Jewish cemetery was established in 1906-1907. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The flat suburban land, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A continuous fence with no gate surrounds the site. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII was 2.00 and is now 3.00 hectares. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces, with iron decorations or lettering, portraits on stones and/or metal fences around graves. Less than 25% are toppled or broken. Stones date from the 20th century. The cemetery contains marked mass graves. The municipality owns the property now used for other. Adjacent properties are residential. The cemetery boundaries is larger now than 1939. Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors and local residents visit occasionally. The cemetery was vandalized occasionally in the last 10 years. Local/municipal authorities and Jewish individuals within country did re-erection of stones, cleaned stones and cleared vegetation. Now, there is regular caretaker paid by contributions from visitors and the government. Within the limits of the cemetery there is a pre-burial house with a catafalque and a chimney. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem, preventing access. Moderate threat: weather erosion. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, vegetation and vandalism.
     Kantor Yakov Filippovich visited site on 9/17/94 with Berman Boris Mihailovich. Interviewed were Kantor Yakov Filippovich and Berman Boris Mihailovich. Tsiputkin Grigoriy Efimovich of Donetsk-52, Vladiganskogo Street 36, apt. 24 [Phone: 956936] completed survey on 09/17/1994.
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution