v. GONORATA: US Commission No. UA15240501
v. Gonorata is located in Odesskaya, 12km from Kotovka and 200km from Odessa. The mass grave is located at south, road to v. Lyubomirka. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
300 Jews from Bessarabia were murdered in here in Autumn 1941. The unlandmarked Jewish mass grave was dug in 1941. Bessarabia used this mass grave. The mass grave location is suburban and rural (agricultural), located on flat land, marked by no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. No wall, fence or gate surrounds the mass grave. The approximate size of mass grave is now 0.01 hectares. No stones were removed. The mass grave has no special sections. The mass grave contains unmarked mass graves. Municipality owns the site now used for mass burial site. Adjacent properties are agricultural. The mass grave is visited rarely by local residents. The mass grave has been vandalized during World War II. There is no maintenance. Within the limits of the mass grave are no structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem, preventing access. Water drainage at the mass grave is a seasonal problem. Very serious threat: uncontrolled access, pollution, vandalism, and existing nearby development and proposed nearby development. Moderate threat: weather erosion and vegetation.
- Town officials: village soviet Tatarov Andrey Andreevich of (04862) 22500.
- Regional officials: Kotovsk Regional Department of Culture - Tsurkak Oleg Alekseevich. Odessa Oblast Department of Culture - Borodavko Roman Isaakovich. Odessa Oblast Department of Culture of Podderskaya Tatyana Anatolievna [Phone: (0482) 283837]. Odessa Oblast Cultural Archive of (0482) 283523.
- Odessa Jewish Community - Milshteyn Feliks Ulich. Odessa Jewish Community - Chechelnitskiy Shimon.
Oks Vladimir Moiseevich of 270065, Odessa, Varnenskaya Street 17D, Apt. 52 [Phone: (0482) 665950] visited site and completed survey in 01/1995. Interviewed were Kovalskiy of Kotovsk in 01/1995 and Barsukova of Kotovsk in 01/1995. Other documentation exists but was inaccessible.