Alternate names: Glinyany and Глиняны [Rus], Gliniany [Pol], Glina and גלינע [Yid], Hlyniany and Глиняни [Ukr], Glinah, Gline, Hlynjany. 49°49' N, 24°31' E, 50 miles WNW of Ternopil (Tarnopol), 23 miles E of L'viv (Lvov), 10 miles N of Peremyshlyany. An organized Jewish community existed from 1474 with the first settlers as leaseholders. The Jews of Glinyany suffered Tatar raids and Cossack massacres in 1624, 1638, and 1657, particularly in 1648-49. The first synagogue, wooden, was erected in 1704.n the 18th century, Glinyany became a center of Ḥasidism when R. Jehiel Michael Moskovich established his court there. A Jewish-German school in Glinyany, established under Joseph II after Austrian annexation of Galicia, remained open until 1806. A Baron Hirsch public school existed from 1816 to 1914. Jewish population: 688 in 1765, 1,708 in 1880 ( total 3,695), 2,177 in 1900 (total 4,906), 1,679 in 1921 (total 4,355), 1,906 in 1931, and 2,300 in 1939.
GLINYANY: US Commission No. UA13360101
The earliest mention of Jewish Community is 1474. 1900 Jewish population was 2177. Events effecting Jewish community were 1758 francists [sic] settlement in Glinuany, 1894 fire, opening of Jewish school of b. Girsh, and "the first nation house in Galitsiay this Hebrew courses" [sic]. The unlandmarked cemetery dates from the 17th century with last known Orthodox Jewish burial in 1941.The cemetery is within the tractor station. The isolated suburban plain has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing public tractor station, access is open with permission. Continuous fence and a gate with lock surround site. The approximate size of the cemetery before the World War II was 0.3 hectares but now is hard to determine. There are no gravestones. Some of the tombstones are part of roads or structures. The municipality owns the site used only as Jewish cemetery. A residential area borders cemetery. The cemetery boundaries are smaller than in 1939 because of the commercial and industrial building. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II and since. Within the cemetery are manufacturing structures of tractor station. No threats because no stones.
Additional photos from the cemetery before its destruction can be found at "The photographs in the book," at the end of the Table of Contents. [May 2011]
|Last Updated on Monday, 09 May 2011 11:44|