You are here: Home Eastern Europe Ukraine HERTSA [Herza, Herca, Khertsa, Gherta)" Chernivitsi obvlast
HERTSA [Herza, Herca, Khertsa, Gherta)" Chernivitsi obvlast PDF Print E-mail

Alternate names: Hertsa, Герца [Ukr], Herţa [Rom], Gertsa [Rus], Herza [Ger], Herca [Cz, Pol], Hertza, Khertsa, Gherța. 48°09' N, 26°15' E, 18 miles SE of Chernivtsi (Ukr.), 15 miles NNW of Dorohoi (Rom.), and 13 miles SSW of Mihaileni (Rom). In NE Romania, near the border of Romania and Ukraine and in Moldavia, as part of Ukraine. Hertsa is the Chernivtsi Oblast administrative center of Hersa Raion. Until 1992 Hertsa was part of Hlyboka Raion. Jewish population: 1,939 (1899), 1,800 (1930), and 4 (2001). Still largely populated by ethic Romanians, who are discontent with being part of Ukraine. Jewish presence dates from the late 17th century.

  • REFERENCE: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it . Like Shells on a Shore. Projekt 36, Bern, Switzerland, 2010. To order, contact Mr. Geissbuhler. history and photographs. [December 2010]
  • Encyclopedia of Jewish Life (2001), p. 511: "Herta".
  • Pinkas HaKehilot, Romania, Vol. 1 (1969), p. 118: "Herta"
  • JewishGen Romanian SIG
  • JewishGen Ukraine Database
CEMETERY

  • The cemetery is on the west side of the village on the road to Chernovtsy.
  • US Commission Report No. UA25150101

Alternate name: Gertsa (Yiddish) and Herta (German). Gertsa is located in Chernovitskaya at 48º9 26º15. Gertsa is 43km from Glybokaya, 8km from Novoselitsa and 32km from Chernovtsy. The cemetery is located at west part of the town. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.

  • Town officials: Town Executive Committee of Chairman-Avasiloaye Eugeniy Nikolayevich [Phone: (03734) 21878].
  • Regional officials: Region Executive Committee of Chairman-Avasiloaye Il'ya Il'ych [Phone: (03734) 21505]. Region Executive Committee - Chairman Gasyuk P.P. [Phone: (03722) 22640].
  • Jewish Community in Chernovtsy - Chairman-Finkyel Eugeniya Manusovna [Phone: (03722) 24170]. Jewish Foundation of Tau Yakov Adolphovich [Phone: (03722) 21940].

The earliest known Jewish community was 18th century. 1930 Jewish population (census) was 1801. The Jewish cemetery was established in 18th century with last known Hasidic (Vizhnitskaya, Sadgorskaya) Jewish burial in 1980. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The flat suburban land, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A continuous fence with no gate surrounds the site. 501 to 5000 stones, most in original location and less than 25% toppled or broken, date from 1766 to the 20th century. Location of any removed stones is unknown. Some tombstones have portraits and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains marked mass graves. The municipality owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors and local residents visit occasionally. The cemetery was vandalized frequently in the last 10 years. Local/municipal authorities did vegetation clearing and wall repair in the last ten years. Now, authorities clear or clean occasionally. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem, disturbing graves. Water drainage is a seasonal problem. Moderate threat: vegetation. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion, pollution, vandalism, and existing nearby development and proposed nearby development.

Hodorkovsky Yuriy Isaakovich of 252037, Ukraine, Kiev, Vozduhoflotsky 37a, 23 [Phone: (044) 2769505] visited site and completed survey on 3/14/95. No interviews were conducted for this survey. Documentation: Encyclopaedia Judaica, vol.7.

Last Updated on Friday, 28 March 2014 14:37
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution