Alternate names: Gadyach-Гадяч [Rus], Hadiach-Гадяч [Ukr], Hadziacz [Pol], Hadjatsch [Ger], Hadyach, Gadiach, Hadiacz, Hadjacz, Hadjac. 50°22' N, 34°00' E, 60 miles NNW of Poltava, 35 miles SE of Romny. 1926 Jewish population: : 1,764. Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), III, p. 7: "Hadziacz". Jewish community information. [September 2009]
Jewish Community of Gadyach
GADYACH: US Commission No. UA16100101
The earliest known Jewish community was 19th century. 1926 Jewish population was 1764. Effected Jewish Community: 1905 pogroms, 1919 Denikensky and Petlurovsky pogroms, and Jan. 9, 1942. Noteworthy Jews living in town were Rabbi Zalman Shneerson (died in 1813) and Rabbi Ganzburg, a 1942Holocaust victim. The Jewish cemetery was established in 1810. Tzadakkim and other noteworthy Jews buried in the cemetery are Rabbi Zalman Shneerson, Rabbi Fridman and Chairman of the Jewish Community, Hudominsky Roman Solomonovich. The last known Hasidic (Habbad) Jewish burial was 1995. Jewish Community that used this cemetery was Hittza (5km away) and Belenchenkovka (5km away) used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated, suburban, agricultural hillside by water has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds site. 101 to 500 stones, most in original location with less than 25% toppled or broken date from 1813 to the 20th century. The cemetery has special sections for men and women. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces, iron decorations or lettering, portraits on stones and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains marked mass graves. The municipality owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are residential and forest. The cemetery boundaries is larger now than 1939. The cemetery is visited frequently by organized Jewish group tours or pilgrimage groups, private visitors and local residents. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. Local/municipal authorities and Jewish individuals within country cleaned stones and cleared vegetation. Now, individuals occasionally clean or clear site. Within the limits of the cemetery is an ohel. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion, pollution, vegetation and vandalism. Slight threat: existing nearby development.
Sokolova Eleonora Eugen'evna of 253152, Kiev, Tychiny Street 5 , Apt. 68 [Phone: (044) 5505681] visited site and completed survey on 4/27/95. Hudominskaya R.R. of 50-let Octyabrya Street13, Apt. 48 [Phone: (05354) 23945], was interviewed on 4/27/95.
The earliest known Jewish community was 19th century. 1926 Jewish population (census) was 1764. Effected Jewish Community: 1905 pogroms, 1919-Denikensky and Machnovsky pogroms and Jan. 9, 1942. Noteworthy Jews living in town were Rabbi Zalman Shneerson-Hasidic leader (died in 1813), Rabbi Gansburg-victim of Holocaust (1942) and Rabbi Fridman. The unlandmarked Jewish mass grave was dug in 1942. Rabbi Ganzburg murdered at mass grave (1942). The isolated suburban site has signs or plaques in Ukrainian mentioning the Holocaust. Reached by turning directly off a public road and turning directly off a private road. Access is open to all. No wall, fence or gate surrounds the mass grave. 1 to 20 common tombstones, all in original location with no surviving stones toppled or broken, date from 1942. No stones were removed. The mass grave has no special sections. The site contains marked mass graves. Municipality owns the site now used for mass burial site. Adjacent properties are commercial or industrial and agricultural. The mass grave is visited occasionally by organized individual tours, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors and local residents. The mass grave has been vandalized frequently in the last 10 years. There was re-erection of stones. Now, authorities clear or clean occasionally. Within the limits of the mass grave are no structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem, preventing access. Water drainage at the mass grave is a seasonal problem. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion, pollution, vegetation and vandalism. Slight threat: existing nearby development.
Sokolova Eleonora Eugen'evna of 253152, Kiev, Tychiny Street 5, Apt. 68 [Phone: (044) 5505681] visited site and completed survey on 4/28/95. Hudominskaya R.R. of 50let, Octyabrya Street 13, Apt. 48 [Phone: (05354) 23945] was interviewed on 28/04/1995.
|Last Updated on Thursday, 10 September 2009 12:33|