You are here: Home Eastern Europe Ukraine FASTIV: Kievskaya
FASTIV: Kievskaya PDF Print E-mail

Alternate names: Fastov-Фастов [Rus], Fastiv-Фастів [Ukr], Chvostov-כוואסטוב [Yid], Chwastów [Pol], Fastów [Pol], Fastiw [Ger]. 50°05' N, 29°55' E, 36 miles SW of Kyyiv (Kiev), 23 miles NNW of Bila Tserkva. 1900 Jewish community: 5,595. Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego(1880-1902), I, pp. 660-664: "Chwastów". [September 2009]

Jewish Community of Fastov
Fastov, Ukraine 8500
Tel.: (380 4465) 69026

Holocaust Memorial and photos [July 2012]

Holocaust Memorial [Apr 2014] US Commission

FASTOV I:     US Commission No. UA09160101
Fastov is located in Kievskaya at 50º5 29º55, 56 km from Kiev. The cemetery is located at Komsomolskaya Street 38. Present town population is 25,001-100,000 with 1,001-10,000 or 11-100 Jews.

  • Town officials: Neshetniy V.E. of Lenina Street 1. Grishin Ivan Mihaylovich
  • Jewish Community.
  • Caretaker with key: Stetskaya Evgeniya Sergeevna of Komsomolskaya 38.
  • Others: Grishin Ivan Mihaylovich.

The earliest known Jewish community was 1750. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 3545. Events effecting the Jewish community were 1750, 1752, 1768, 1918-1920 pogroms and 1941-1943 Holocaust. Some noteworthy individuals who lived in this Progressive/Reform Jewish community were Rabinovich L.A., Rozenvaseer, Kopit M.Y., Konik M.Y., Zhidovetskiy B., Naumov M., Gusovskiy I.N., and Rapopport M.A.. The Jewish cemetery was established in 17th century with last known Jewish burial in 1994. Kievskaya (1km away) and Cherkasskaya (1km away) used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated urban hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing private property, access is open to all. A continous fence with a gate that locks surrounds site. 101 to 500 stones, most in original location with than 25% toppled or broken, date from 17th century or 1919. Location of removed stones is unknown. The cemetery has no special sections. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces, iron decorations or lettering, bronze decorations or lettering, portraits on stones and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains unmarked mass graves. The municipality owns property used for Jewish cemetery and "other." Adjacent properties are "other." The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. The cemetery is visited frequently by organized Jewish group tours or pilgrimage groups and private visitors (Jewish or non-Jewish). The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. Clearing vegetation and fixing wall was restoration. Now, there is occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals. Within the limits of the cemetery is an ohel. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem, preventing access. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access. Slight threat: vegetation. No threat: weather erosion, pollution, vandalism, and existing nearby development or proposed nearby development.
Tsyauk Vladimir Trofimovich of Kiev, Kvitneviy per. 12, Apt.95 [Phone: (044) 4176555] visited site and completed survey on 7/5/94. Interviewed was Stetskaya Evgeniya Sergeevna of Komsomolskaya Street 38 [Phone: 52946] on 7/5/94 and Kopostova Abramovna on 7/5/94 and Grishin Ivan Mihaylovich.

FASTOV II:     US Commission No. UA09160502
The mass grave is located at in the north-central part of town.

  • Town officials: Town Soviet of Chairman-Timofeev Vladimir Afanasievich [Phone: (265) 53000]. Group of the Communal Economy (Kombinat kommunal'nyh predpriyatiy) - Chief-Khiminsky Anatoly Mikhailovich [Phone: (265) 51541]. Kopyt Rita Moiseevna of 6, Kuibysheva Street [Phone: (265) 52974]. Executive Committee of town, Department of the Culture, Chief Orlovsky Eduard Andreevich [Phone: (265) 53521].
    • Regional: Executive Committee of Kievskaya Oblast. Regional State Archives of Kievskaya Oblast and Soviet of Veterans of Great Patriotic War Chairman-Grishin Ivan Mikhailovich [Phone: (265) 54399]
  • Caretaker: Stetskaya Evgeniya Sergeevna of 5, Kutuzova Street [Phone: (265) 52946].

The earliest known Jewish community was 18th century. 1926 Jewish population was 3549. Events effecting the Jewish community were 1750, 1752 pogroms of Gaydamaki, 9 Sep 1919 pogroms of Denikin and 1941-1942 mass executions of Jews. The last known Jewish burial was in 1949. Zhitomir Jews were murdered at this unlandmarked mass grave. The urban flat land, part of a municipal cemetery, has signs or plaques in Ukrainian mentioning Jews and the Holocaust. Reached by crossing private property, access is open with permission. A continuous fence with non-locking gate surrounds the mass grave, approximately 0.01 hectares. 1 to 20 common tombstones, all in their original location, date from 1949. No stones were removed. The site contains marked mass graves. Municipality owns mass grave now used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are residential. The mass grave boundaries are larger now than 1939. The mass grave is visited occasionally by organized Jewish group tours or pilgrimage groups, organized individual tours, private visitors (Jewish or non-Jewish) and local residents. This mass grave has not been vandalized. Jewish individuals within country cleared vegetation annually. Now, the regular caretaker is paid by contributions from visitors. Within the limits of the mass grave are no structures. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion, pollution and vegetation. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem, preventing access. Water drainage at the mass grave is a seasonal problem. No threat: vandalism, existing nearby development or proposed nearby development. Documentation: Look to Addish [sic]. Other documentation was inaccessible.
Sokolova Eleonora Eugen'evna of 253152 Kiev, 5 Tychiny Street, Apt. 68 [Phone: (044) 5505681] visited site and completed survey on 05/09/96. Interviewed were Yakobi Maya Mikhailovna of apt. 12, 4, Gor'kogo Street [Phone: (265) 52834] on 05/09/96 and Lev Rahil' Isaevna of apt. 3, 16, Chervonnaya Street [Phone: (265) 52932] on 05/09/96.

FASTOV III:     US Commission No. UA09160501
The unlandmarked 1942 mass grave is in the southwestern center of the town on an isolated urban, hillside with signs or plaques in Ukrainian mentioning the Holocaust. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A continuous fence with non-locking gate surrounds the mass grave. 1 to 20 1978 mass grave markers are all in their original location. No stones were removed. The mass grave has metal fences around graves. Municipality owns mass grave now used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are commercial or industrial and residential. The mass grave boundaries are larger now than 1939. The mass grave is visited occasionally by organized individual tours, private visitors (Jewish or non-Jewish) and local residents. This mass grave has not been vandalized. Cleaning stones and clearing vegetation by local/municipal authorities was annual. Now, there is occasional clearing or cleaning by authorities. Within the limits of the mass grave are no structures. Serious threat: weather erosion (seasonal) (The mass burial expose to erosion). Moderate threat: uncontrolled access and vegetation (seasonal). Slight threat: pollution and vandalism. No threat: existing nearby development or proposed nearby development.
Sokolova Eleonora Eugen'evna of 253152 Kiev 5, Tychiny Street, Apt. 68 [Phone: (044) 5505681] visited site and completed survey on 05/09/96. Yakobi Maya Mikhailovna of apt. 12, 4, Gor'kogo Street [Phone: (265) 52834] was interviewed on 05/09/96.

Last Updated on Tuesday, 01 April 2014 23:29
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution