You are here: Home Eastern Europe Ukraine EYPATORIA
EYPATORIA PDF Print E-mail
EYPATORIA I:     US Commission No. UA.11030101
Alternative names: Yiddish: Yevpatoriya; German: Euvpatoria; Polish: Evpatoriia; Ukrainian: Goslow, Koslow, Kozlov; Hungarian: Yevpatoriya, Yevpatoria; Other: Gezlev. Located in the Crimea region at 45º12' 33º22', 64 km from Simferopol. The cemetery is located at Mamaiskaya quarry, 9 km to the northeast of Evpatoria. Present town population is 115,000 with 100-1000 Jews.
  • Town officials: City Soviet, Lenin Avenue, 2, Chairman Danilenko Andrei Petrovich, tel. (06569) 3-15-30. Department of Dwelling-Municipal Economy, Buslaevykh St., 21. Director is Suroegin Alexei Ivanovich, tel.: 3-20-56. Town Archive, Dyomysheva St., 100a, director Grigorieva L.N., tel.: 3-67-60.
  • Regional officials: State Crimea Committee on Historical and Cultural Monuments Security, director: A.I. Filatov, tel.: 27-95-11.
  • Jewish Community Aleph, Prosmushkinykh St., 34, Chairman: Evgeniy Mikhailovich Edelman, tel.: (06569) 3-28-50 (home).
  • Caretaker: Sosedenko Tatiana Dmitrievna, Krasnoyarskoe Shosse, 35 (work), tel.: 5-78-19 (work).
     The earliest mention about Jewish community is 1847. 1939 Jewish population was 4,249. Home of writer B.I. Balter (1919-1974). The Orthodox cemetery began in 1989. The last known Jewish burial was in 1996. Other towns do not use the unlandmarked rural (agricultural) plain, part of municipal cemetery, with no sign or marker. Reached by crossing the quarry, access is open to all. There is continuous masonry wall and a gate with no lock. The 180,000 square meter cemetery did not exist before the World War. 20-100 marble, granite, iron, concrete and labradorit gravestones are in the cemetery, all in their original location with no broken or over-turned stones. The cemetery has gravestones that are finely smoothed and Russian inscribed stones and some with portraits. No known mass graves. Municipality owns property holding a separate Jewish portion of the municipal cemetery. Industrial, agricultural, and residential areas border the cemetery. The cemetery is visited occasionally by local residents. The cemetery has never been vandalized. The local municipal authorities maintain the property and pay the regular caretaker. Within the cemetery is a well. Moderate threat: vegetation overgrowth. Slight threat: safety, erosion, pollution and vandalism.
     Leonid Kogan, Novograd-Volynskiy, Lenin St 107, Fl. 42, tel.: (04141) 5-42-59 completed the survey 9 Dec 1996. Documentation: a 1993 town map. He visited the site on 4 October 1996 and interviewed Sosedenko Tatiana Dmitrievna, Krasnoyarskoe shosse, 35 (work), tel.: 5-78-19 (work).
EYPATORIA II:     US Commission No. UA.11030102.
The cemetery is located, 5 km to the north of Evpatoria.
  • Caretaker: Sosedenko Tatiana Dmitrievna, Krasnoyarskoe Shosse, 35 (work), tel.: 5-78-19 (work).
  • Director of the Cemetery Denisov Victor Pavlovich, Evpatoria, Krasnoyarskoe shosse, 5 (work), tel.: 5-76-78 (work).
     The cemetery began in 1989 [?] with last known Jewish burial in 1996. Orthodox Jews use this unlandmarked municipal cemetery on the outskirts of the town, a plain with no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off the road, access is open to all. A continuous masonry wall and gate with no lock surround 30 hectares site. 500-5,000 gravestones are in the cemetery, all in original locations with no broken or overturned stones. Vegetation overgrowth is seasonal problem that prevents access. The oldest gravestone dates from 1963. The marble, granite, iron and labradorit gravestones are finely smoothed and inscribed stones, double stones and sculptured monuments. Some have traces of paint on their surface, portraits, and/or metal fences around graves. Inscriptions are in Yiddish and Russian. No known mass graves. The municipality owns property with separate Jewish and non-Jewish sections. The cemetery borders an industrial area. The cemetery is visited occasionally by private visitors and local citizens. The cemetery was vandalized in 1988 when seven monuments were broken and the guilty persons punished. Care includes cleaning of vegetation, fixing of walls and gate. Local municipal authorities are responsible for restoration done in the 1980's. Government pays the caretaker. Within the cemetery are a pre-burial structure, well, and other structures (Bureau of Funeral Service.) Moderate threat: vandalism and vegetation overgrowth. Slight threat: safety, erosion and pollution.
     Leonid Kogan, Novograd-Volynskiy, Lenin St 107, fl. 42, tel.: (04141) 5-42-59 completed the survey 4 October 1996. Documentation: a town map. He visited the site on 9 September 1996 and interviewed Sosedenko Tatiana Dmitrievna, Krasnoyarskoe shosse, 35 (work), tel.: 5-78-19 (work).
EVPATORIA III:     US Commission No. UA.11030103.
The cemetery is located in the northeast outskirts of Evpatoria.
  • May have information: Country Museum, Kirov St., 2, tel.: (06569) 6-26-81.
No caretaker.
     The unlandmarked cemetery began in 19th century with last known Orthodox Jewish burial in 1963. The isolated urban plain, near lake and next to other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off the road, access is open to all. A broken masonry wall and gate with no lock surround site. The cemetery size before and after the World War II is 9600 square meters. 500-5000 gravestones are in the cemetery. About 100-500 tombstones are in original locations with about 20-100 gravestones moved. Approximately 50-75% of gravestones are broken or overturned. The location of missing stones is unknown. Vegetation overgrowth is seasonal problem that prevents access. The oldest gravestone dates from 1921. The marble, granite and limestone gravestones finely smoothed and inscribed stones or sculptured monuments have Yiddish and Russian inscriptions. Some have portraits or metal fences around graves. No known mass graves. The municipality owns property used only for Jewish cemetery. The cemetery borders commercial or industrial areas, highroad, gas station, and lake. The cemetery boundaries are the same size as in 1939. The cemetery is visited rarely by local citizens. The cemetery was vandalized often. Local Jews did vegetation clearing in 1950s. No care, no caretaker. No structures. Serious threat: vandalism. In the 1980s, many of the monuments were broken and overturned, some stolen. Moderate threat: safety, pollution and vegetation overgrowth. Slight threat: erosion and incompatibility with present and planned building.
     Leonid Kogan, Novograd-Volynskiy, Lenin St 107, fl. 42, tel.: (04141) 5-42-59 visited site and completed survey on 11 September 1996. Documentation: Jewish Encyclopaedia . and map of Evpatoria city (Simferopol, 1995). He interviewed Erengross Ada Kharitonovna, Diomysheva St 119, fl.7, tel.: (06569) 3-06-03.
EVPATORIA IV:     US Commission No. UA.11030501.
     The unlandmarked 1941-1942 mass gravesite is located in Krasnaya Gorka: northern part of the town. The isolated urban plain has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off the road, access is open to all. There is no wall, gate, or fence. Current size is 4 hectares. 1-20 gravestones are all in their original locations with none broken or overturned tombstones. Drainage is good year round. The gabbro-labradorit flat and engraved gravestone and sculptured monument date from 1984. Some separate graves are dedicated to Holocaust victims. Present owner of the site is municipality. The property is used as a non-sectarian cemetery with mainly non-Jewish graves. The site borders residential area. Site is visited occasionally by organized groups, private visitors and local citizens. The site has never been vandalized. Stones have been erected or re-erected on the site by local municipal authorities in 1985. The site is cleaned sometimes by authorities. No caretaker. No structures. Moderate threat: safety. Slight threat: pollution, vegetation overgrowth, vandalism and incompatibility with prospective construction. No threat: erosion and incompatible construction.
     Leonid Kogan, Novograd-Volynskiy, Lenin St 107, fl. 42, tel.: (04141) 5-42-59 completed the survey 4 October 1996. Documentation: Documents about damage by German-fascist invaders and their accomplices to the city (July-November 1944) in city archive. He visited the site on 9 September 1996 and interviewed Erengross Ada Kharitonovna, Diomysheva St 119, fl.7, tel.: (06569) 3-06-03.
EVPATORIA V:     US Commission No. UA11030502
     The 1941 unlandmarked mass gravesite is located on the northern outskirts of the town, Krasnoyarskoe shosse (territory of company "Neftegazorazvedochnaya ezpeditsiya"). The unlocked site has no caretaker. The location is an isolated suburban plain without sign or marker. It may be reached by entering the yard of geological company "Neftegazorazvedochnaya ezpeditsiya". Access is open with permission. There is a continuous fence and no gate. Current size is 684 square meters. One concrete finely smoothed and inscribed memorial marker, in original location, dates 1967. The inscription is in Russian: "To victims of fascism 1941-1945 from Evpatoriya residents." There are some separate graves dedicated to Holocaust victims. Some have with traces of paint. The municipality owns the non-sectarian cemetery with mainly non-Jewish graves. The cemetery borders industrial areas and is visited rarely by local citizens. The site never was vandalized since its creation. At present authorities sometimes clean the mass burial site. No structures. Serious threat: incompatible construction: (After the 1970s construction of the geological company, the site is surrounded by manufacturing structures). Slight threat: erosion, pollution, vegetation overgrowth, vandalism and incompatibility with prospective construction.No threat: safety.
     Leonid Kogan, Novograd-Volynskiy, Lenin St 107, fl. 42, tel.: (04141) 5-42-59 completed the survey 4 October 1996. Documentation: Monuments of the History and Culture of USSR . (Kiev, 1987). He visited the site on 9 September 1996 and interviewed Erengross Ada Kharitonovna, Diomysheva St 119, fl.7, tel.: (06569) 3-06-03.
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution