|DUNAYIVTSI: Dunaivtsi, Dunayevtsy Dunajowce,,Dinovitz,Dunayevitz, Dinewitz, Dinovits, Dunivits, Dinovets, Dunaivci, Dunaivtsi, Dunajevcy, Dunajewzy in Khmelnytskyi Oblast|
Alternate names: Dunayivtsi and Дунаївці [Ukr], Dunayevtsy and Дунаевцы [Rus], Dinovitz and דינעוויץ [Yid], Dunajowce [Pol], דונוביץ [Hebr], Dunayevitz, Dinewitz, Dinovits, Dunivits, Dinovets, Dunaivci, Dunaivtsi, Dunajevcy, Dunajewzy. 48°54' N, 26°50' E, 20 miles NE of Kamyanets-Podilskyy, 36 miles SSW of Khmelnytskyy (Proskurov), 21 miles WNW of Nova Ushytsya. 1909 Jewish population: 8,966. capital city of Dunaivtsi Raion, Khmelnytskyi Oblas on the river Ternavka. 2010 Population: 16,448 (2001). Reinforcement plant, repair and engineering works and butter-processing plant are located in the city.
Russian Soiurce with photos: "Jews lived in Dunaevcy the XVI century. In 1648, almost all the Jews were killed by bandits Bohdan Khmelnytsky. In 1765, the Jewish community numbered 1,129 people, but by 1775 was reduced to 484 in the uprising Haidamaks. In 1780, the community was reborn again. Since the beginning of the 19th century, many Jews found employment as workers, dyers and traders in the thriving textile industry Dunaevets. Jewish population numbered 2,020 people in 1847 and about 10,000 before the First World War (about two-thirds of the total population) . In the middle of XIX merchant Roitman opened a tobacco factory. In 1847, in the town there were two synagogues. In 1871-72 years. were purchased land for a Jewish cemetery. In 1882 there were 6 Dunaevcy synagogues, in 1890 - 11 synagogues, Jewish hospital, hospice, Talmud Torah and a few headers. Jews in 1899 rented a sugar factory, distilleries and 1907 - Ironworks (among workers also had a lot of Jews.) In 1906, Jews owned two printers, tannery factory and several weaving factories, as well as shops, hotels, pharmacies. After the establishment of Soviet power in impoverished Jews. Many emigrated or moved to other cities. In 1926, 5186 Jews accounted for 60.5% of the total population Dunaevets. since 1931 was created Dunaeveczkij Jewish village council. In the Jewish collective farm in 1933 was 362 Jews. Germans occupied Dunaevcy July 11, 1941. In November 1941, the Nazis hanged 19 Jews.Germans concentrated local Jews and Jews from the surrounding villages in the ghetto. Market entry was permitted only once within 1 hour a week. Every day in the ghetto were killed dozens of people. 8 May 1942 about 2,300 Jews were thrown alive into the phosphoric mine (this place is a local engineer advised the Germans). Mine was bricked up. Three weeks people have heard cries for help, moaning, crying.They died of thirst, hunger and suffocation. All other Jews from the ghetto were transferred to a labor camp. In the second half of May 1942 there was brought Jews from Balin, Great Zhvanchika, Zin'kova, Smotricha. Prisoners were forced to work at the railway station. After the epidemic, the Germans decided to liquidate the camp.October 19, 1942 about 1820 Jews from the camp were bred in Solonensky forest and shot. October 27, 1942 were killed another 1,500 Jews. Near the former Jewish kolkhoz Germans shot 68 people from mixed families. One of the leaders of the Judenrat , Chico Goren, tried to strangle one of the German soldiers, but was shot by Ukrainian police. During the Second World War in 8000 killed more than Dunaevcy Jews, 2500 of them were locals. Just Dunaeveczkij area killed more than 12,000 Jews. Dunaevcy was liberated by the Red Army March 31, 1944. After his release, several Jewish families returned Dunaevcy. In 1948, going to minyan.daughter of Holocaust victims in the cemetery Dunaevcy New York memorial was erected (in 1965). During the 1970s and 1980s, most of the Jews emigrated to Israel and the United States. In 2013, Jews do not live in Dunaevcy. use the material site"
Detailed description of the photo on the
photos.Most of the headstones in the old cemetery are gone. The new section is active and has tombstones; stones are left on graves and prayers are recited.[Mar 2014]
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 25 March 2014 23:44|