You are here: Home Eastern Europe Ukraine DRAGOVO
DRAGOVO PDF Print E-mail
v. DRAGOVO:     US Commission No. UA06510101
Alternate names: Kovesliget (Hung.), Drahova (Yiddish), Drahovo (German), Drahiv (Ukraine), Drahovo, Drahiv (Czech.?). Dragovo, pronounced Drahovo. In Zakarpatskaya Oblast-Transcarpathia at 48º14' N, 23º33' E, 80 km from Mukachevo. 176 km WSW of Chernovtsy, and 12 miles NE of Khust. The cemetery is located at west, on the left side of River Tereblya, near the highway to Hust v. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
  • Town officials: Village Executive Council of Chairman Krichvalovshy Ivan Nikolayevich [Phone: (031422) 4233].
  • Regional: officials: Hust Regional Department of Culture of Chairman-Yurchak Ivan Mikhaylovich [Phone: (031422) 3217]. Zakarpatsky Oblast Executive Council of Chairman Ustich Sergey Ivanovich [Phone: (03122) 33051]. Zakarpatsky Oblast Department of Culture of Chairman- Gavorets Vasiliy Stepanovich [Phone: (03122) 35373].
  • Others: Hust Jewish Community - Lazarevich Aleksandr [Phone: (031422) 1137].
     The earliest known Jewish community was mid-19th century. 1926 Jewish population (census) was 80. The last known Hasidic Jewish burial was 1992. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A continuous fence with a non-locking gate surrounds site. 21 to 100 common tombstones, most in original location with between 25%-59% toppled or broken, date from 19th century. Location of removed stones is unknown. The cemetery has no special sections. The cemetery has no known mass graves. The municipality owns property used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are residential. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Organized individual tours and local residents visit occasionally. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. Jewish individuals abroad re-erected stones, patched broken stones, cleaned stones, cleaedvegetation, fixed wall and fixed gate in 1988. Now, there is occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, vegetation and vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion, pollution and existing nearby development.
     Oks Vladimir Moiseevich of 270065, Odessa, Varnenskaya Street, 17D, Apt. 52 [Phone: (0482) 665950] visited site on /07/1995. Interviewed was Maydanniy V.M. of Hust on /07/1995. He completed survey on 09/08/1995. Documentation: Short Jewish Encyclopaedia , vol. 2, Jerusalem, 1982; Enciclopaedia Ukraineznavstvo , vol. 1-2, Kiev, 1993. Other documentation was inaccessible.
     UPDATE: The isolated wooded crown of a hill is reached by turning directly off a public road. Access is open. A hedge or row of trees and a broken fence surround the cemetery. Approximate size: 700 sq. feet, with 100-500 stones (less than 25% broken or toppled.) Vegetation overgrowth is seasonal, preventing access, disturbing graves or possibly a constant problem. Tombstones are flat shaped stones. Cemetery now used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural and residential at the foot of the hill. Diane Goldman ( This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it ) & Herb Meyers, 4977 Battery Lane, Bethesda MD 20814 visited the site on 4 August 1998. She completed the survey on 1 March 1999.
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution