Alternate names: Donets'k-Донецьк [Ukr], Donetsk-Донецк, [Rus, since 1961], Yuzovka-Юзовка [Rus, until 1924], Stalino [Rus, 1924-61], Józówka [Pol], Donezk [Ger], Donec'k, Stalin, Jusowka, Yuzovo, Hughesovka. 48°00' N, 37°48' E, 133 miles ESE of Dnipropetrovsk (Ekaterinoslav). 1900 Jewish population: 3,168.
Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego (1880-1902), III, p. 616: "Józówka". [September 2009]
Jewish Community. Jewish history. [September 2009]
Wikipedia [Apr 2014]
||Donetsk Jewish Community (Chabad)
Chief rabbi of Donbass: rabbi Pinchas Vyshedsky
Chairman: Yehuda Kelerman
JCC Director: Tamara Tseitlina
Address: 36, Zhovtneva Street, Donetsk 83086 Ukraine
Phone: 380-62 345-0052, 345-0053, 334-3997, 389-7061
Fax: 380-62 335-7725
Region: 05 Donetsk region
Profile: 2.2 Jewish Congregations
||Donetsk Jewish Day School Or Menachem (Chabad)
Principal: Zinaida Shamardina
Address: 4, Darnitska Street, Donetsk 83100 Ukraine
Phone: 380-62 223-5900, 297-1263
Fax: 380-62 382-9704
document.write( '' );
document.write( addy_text83276 );
document.write( '<\/a>' );
Region: 05 Donetsk region
Profile: 4.4 Schools
- US Commission No. UA04030101
- Donetsk is located in Donetskaya, 800km from Kiev. The cemetery is located at v. Mushketovo. Present town population is over 100,000 with over 10,000 Jews.
- Town officials: City Soviet Pibak V.V. of 930388.
- The earliest known Jewish community was 1990s with last known Hasidic Jewish burial 1994. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The urban flat land, part of a municipal cemetery, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A broken fence with a gate that locks surrounds the site. More than 5000 stones, most in original location with less than 25% are toppled or broken, date from 20th century. Location of removed stones is unknown. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces, portraits on stones, and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains marked mass graves. The municipality owns property. Adjacent properties are "other." The cemetery boundaries are larger now than 1939. Private visitors (Jewish or non-Jewish) and local residents visit occasionally. The cemetery was vandalized occasionally in the last 10 years. Jewish individuals within country did re-erection of stones, patching broken stones, cleaning stones and clearing vegetation. Now, there is occasional clearing or cleaning by authorities. Within the limits of the cemetery are a pre-burial house with catafalque and other structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem, disturbing graves and damaging stones. Serious threat: uncontrolled access and vegetation. Moderate threat: pollution. Slight threat: vandalism.
- Tsiputkin Grigoriy Efimovich of Donetsk-52, Vladiganskogo Street 36 Apt. 24 [Phone: 956936] visited on 5/9/94. Interviewed was Alter Mihail Savelevich on 6/12/94 and Kabo Aleksandr Izraelevich. He completed survey on 06/28/1994.