You are here: Home Eastern Europe Ukraine DZYHOVKA: Vinnytsia oblast [Dzhhivka, Dzygovka , Zegifke ,
DZYHOVKA: Vinnytsia oblast [Dzhhivka, Dzygovka , Zegifke , PDF Print E-mail

Alternate names: Dzyhivka and Дзигівка  [Ukr], Dzygovka and Дзыговка  [Rus], Zegifke and זעגיווקע  [Yid], Dzygówka [Pol], Dzygivka, Dzhhivka. 48°22' N, 28°20' E, 60 miles S of Vinnytsya, 15 miles N of Soroca (Moldova), 8 miles NNE of Yampol. In Transnistria during WWII. Jewish population: 2,187 (in 1897), 1,561 (in 1923) one of the oldest villages in central Ukraine, of Yampіlsky Raion (district), Vinnytsia Oblast. It is located in the historical region of Podolia, on the Korytna Stream that flows into the Rusava River, a tributary of the Dniester River.

Wikipedia. [Mar 2014]: "n 1787, as an official market town, Dzyhivka attracted a large Jewish population. In 1871 approximately half of the population was Jewish. In 1853 there was one synagogue, in 1889 there were three synagogues, and in the early 1900s there were five synagogues, with Jewish people working at the bank, at the medical facility, and running the factories. There were approximately fifty Jewish owned registered businesses. In November 1905 there was a pogrom in a wave of Anti-Jewish pogroms in the Russian Empire, and Jewish persecution continued. By 1917, before theRussian Revolution, most Jewish businesses were destroyed. In 1923, the Jewish population was 1,561. Right before World War II, the Jewish population was approximately twelve percent of the population. In 1941, the village was occupied by the Romanian Armed Forces and became part ofTransnistria. A work camp was established and 100 Jews from Romania were brought in, with many locals being sent to other work camps. In the spring of 1944, the village was released from occupation, and the Jewish exodus began to major cities and to other countries. By 1998, only 12 elderly residents remained."

Source: "Dzygovka - village Yampolsky region Vinnytsia region, until 1923 the county borough Yampolsky Podolia. Settlement Dzygovka known since the beginning of the XVIII century., in 1787 it received from the king Stanislaus Augustus village status and privilege to hold regular fairs. At this time there had already lived a few Jewish families. At the end of the 1780s. Dzygovki Jews were assigned to Yampolsky community, and in the 1790s - to the community Myastkovki. In the middle of the XIX century. According to official data in 1853 in the town synagogue existed and "Prayer School" (of 1056 parishioners). In 1845, operating here six headers first stage (of 88 students) and six - second (30 students). In 1852 there were 35 Dzygovke Jewish craftsmen with a total turnover of capital 1,500 rubles per year. In 1871 there were 1510 residents here assigned to the trading estate (mostly Jews), and 2640 - to agriculture; town had only 721 houses. In 1889 the community was composed of 1007 people contained three synagogues, called "Shool", "Baise Gamidrash" and "Clouse." According to a contemporary, at the end of the 1880s."Palestinian idea having a purpose accustoming the Jews to productive work," found its adherents in this remote province. At this time in Dzygovke young people from wealthy families trying to raise funds to create palestinofilskoy organization. Sources of income of the bulk of the Jewish population, which accounted for the owners of small shops, artisans and small traders were fair, held once every two weeks, and the local distillery. Economic stagnation in the South West region in the 1890s.affected the financial situation of the Jewish population Dzygovki, frequent crop failures aggravated the situation of small hlebotorgovtsev. At the beginning of XX century Dzygovke had five synagogues and prayer houses. Most of the Jewish population - artisans and small traders - were poor, wealthier Jews kept the stores and shops (about fifty), moreover pharmacy and a lumberyard, a pharmacy and an inn. Jews served in the bank, hospital, on mead and distillery managers who were also Jews. In November 1905 Dzygovke broke mayhem that authorities have been stymied. autumn 1917 peasants from the village and neighboring villages before the arrival of the troops managed to crush all Jewish shops. About this pogrom fraction of the Bund in the Central Rada of Ukraine made ​​an official request. In 1919 Dzygovke was a regular part of the Ukrainian army, which imposed on the spot "indemnity" Jews took hostage. Subsequently place repeatedly subjected raids armed gangs. During the interwar period in Dzygovke opened a Jewish school and a cheder acted unofficially. According to the newspaper "Der Emes" in the early 1920s.Jewish population Dzygovki 70% consisted of "merchants and shopkeepers," 30% - of artisanal craftsmen. By 1922 approximately half of the Jews in town were united in rural economic collective. Number of communities in 1923 was 1,561 people.Dzygovke Before the war, lived 858 Jews (12% of the population). Dzygovka village was occupied at the end of July 1941 and was on the territory of Transnistria. In the town were placed about one hundred Jews deported from Romania. Ghetto was established. Jews used to coercive field work, most of them in the group hijacked Nikolaev to build the bridge. Dzygovki After his release in the spring of 1944 the community had a few hundred people. In the postwar years, the Jews moved to the big cities, in the village were only old. In a private house until the end of the 1980s.going to minyan. in 1998 lived in the village 12 elderly Jews who patronized community Yampol. Dzygovke Today Jews do not live. Lukin, "100 Jewish towns in Ukraine" Detailed photo

CEMETERY:

map. 9th century, Italian stone craftsmen worked with Jewish stonemasons to create gravestones for the sizeableJewish cemetery. Their work also can be found in Jewish, Catholic, and Christian cemeteries in the surrounding Podolia region.

Last Updated on Monday, 09 June 2014 21:14
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution