Alternate names: Chumal'ovo, (Csmolif)
ShtetLink [February 2010]
v. CHUMALEVO: US Commission No. UA06570101
v. Chumalevo is located in Zakarpatskaya at 4820 2360, 75 km from Mukachevo. The cemetery is located at North part of town, right side of river Tereblya. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was mid-19th century. 1926 Jewish population (census) was 70. Effecting the Jewish Community were 1918 Zakarpatye transfer to Czech and 1944 deportation of Jews to the death camp. The last known Hasidic burial was 1942. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated suburban wooded hillside by water has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds. 21 to 100 common tombstones, most in original location with 25%-50% toppled or broken, date from 19th century. Location of any removed stones is unknown. The cemetery has no special sections. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. The municipality owns property used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are residential and forest. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Rarely, local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. There is no maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem, preventing access. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion, pollution, vegetation and vandalism. Slight threat: existing nearby development.
Oks Vladimir Moiseevich of 270065, Odessa, Varnenskaya St. 17D, apt. 52 [Phone: (0482) 665950] visited site and completed survey in /07/1995. Interviewed was Lazarevich A. of Hust on /07/1995. Documentation: Short Jewish Encyclopaedia. t.2, Jerusalem, 1982; Encyclopaedia of Ukraineznavstvo, t.1-2, Kiev, 1993. Other documentation exists but was inaccessible.
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 10 February 2010 14:56|