v. CHUKOV I: (US Commission No. UA01340501
The earliest known Jewish community was 1479. The Jewish population (census) 1479 was 1840. Effecting the Jewish Community were 1479- Tatars murdered 400 Jews, 1569 Kazaks murdered Jews, 1648 Khmelnitskiy pogroms, 18th c. pogroms, and 1919-200 Jews killed 1941. Living here were Tsaddakkim Shterngarts and Rabbin Nakhman from Bratslav. The Jewish mass grave was dug in 1941. Bratslav (10 km away) Jews were murdered at this unlandmarked mass grave. The isolated suburban agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, no wall, fence, or gate surrounds. The approximate size of mass grave is now 0.01 hectares. No stones were removed. Stones date from 1941. The site contains unmarked mass graves. The municipality owns property now used for mass burial site. Properties adjacent are agricultural. Local residents visit occasionally. The mass grave was vandalized occasionally in the last ten years. There is no maintenance. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem, preventing access. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, vegetation and vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion, pollution, existing and proposed nearby development.
Oks Vladimir Moiseevich of 270065, Ukraine, Odessa, Varnenskaya 17D, apt. 52 [Phone: (0482) 665950] visited site in 07/1994. Interviewed was Korasun L.V. of Bratslav on 07/1994. Oks completed survey on 03/07/1995. Documentation: Odessa State Archive Fond P-2255, 1, n. 1366, 1408. Other documentation exists but was too general.
CHUKOV II: US Commission No. UA01340502
The mass grave is located at southern part of the Orthodox cemetery, Veterinarnaya St. There was no Jewish community but a 1942-1944 concentration camp and Feb. 1943 mass execution in the concentration camp. Romanian and Bukovina Jews were murdered at this unlandmarked mass grave. The rural (agricultural) flat land, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road and the old Orthodox cemetery, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds. The approximate size of mass grave is now 0.01 hectares. No stones are visible ORThe mass grave has only common tombstones. The site contains unmarked mass graves. The municipality owns property now used for waste dump. Properties adjacent are the old Orthodox cemetery and collective farm. The mass grave boundaries are larger now than 1939. Rarely, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors and local residents stop. This mass grave was not vandalized. There is no maintenance. Very serious threat: vegetation (The mass burial is overgrown with trees and bushes). Serious threat: proposed nearby development (In all probability, collective farm will expand). Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion and existing nearby development. Slight threat: vandalism.
Sokolova Eleonora Eugen'evna of 253152 Kiev, 5 Tychiny St. apt. 68 [Phone: (044) 5505681] visited site and completed survey on 22/10/96. Interviewed was Kravchuk Anatoly Dmitrievich of 7, Veterinarnaya St. on 22/10/96. Documentation: look to Additional Comments [sic]. Other documentation exists but was inaccessible.