CHUDNOV I: US Commission No. UA05210101.
Alternate name: Cudnow (Yiddish), Chudnow (Russian) and Cudnov (Ukraine). Chudnov is located in Zhitomirskaya. The town is location 50�3 28�7, 55 km from Zhitomir, 39 km from Berdichev and 94 km from Vinnitsa. Present town population is 5,001-25,000 with 11-100 Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 1756. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 4067. Ortenberg lived here. The Jewish cemetery dates from 19th century with last known Hasidic burial 1994. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The r isolated ural (agricultural) wooded hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. Hedges or trees surround the cemetery. 101 to 500 stones, most in original location with 25%-50% toppled or broken, date from 1885. Locations of any removed stones are unknown. Some tombstones have portraits on stones and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. The municipality owns property now used for Jewish cemetery and industrial or commercial use. Properties adjacent are agricultural and residential. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Rarely, local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II and not in the last ten years. Occasionally, individuals clear or clean. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem, disturbing graves. Serious threat: vegetation and vandalism. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access. Slight threat: weather erosion, pollution, existing and proposed nearby development.
Kogan Leonid of Novograd-Volynskiy, Lenina St. 107, Apt. 42 [Phone: (04141) 54259] visited site on 11/5/94 and interviewed Perrman Mikhail Grigoryevich. Kogan completed survey on 11/13/1994.
CHUDNOV II: US Commission No. UA05210501
Alternate name: Chudnow (German) and Cudnov (Hungarian). The mass grave is located at center, in the park.
1926 Jewish population (census) was 4067. Living here was writer Ortenberg David Iosifovich. The Jewish mass grave was dug in 1941 with last known Hasidic burial 1942. No other towns or villages Jews were murdered at this unlandmarked mass grave. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A continuous fence with no gate surrounds the mass grave. 1 to 20 stones, all in original location with none toppled or broken, date from 1960. No stones were removed. Some tombstones have metal fences around graves. The site contains marked mass graves. The municipality owns property used for mass burial site. Properties adjacent are residential and stadium "Teterev". The mass grave boundaries are larger now than 1939. Rarely, local residents visit. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access and vandalism. Slight threat: pollution, vegetation and existing nearby development.
Kogan Leonid of Novograd-Volynskiy, Lenina St. 107, apt. 42. [Phone: (04141) 54259] visited site and completed survey on 22/02/1996. Interviewed was Yusim Etya Davidovna of 50 let Oktyabrya St. 10, apt. 24 on 12/11/94.