US Commission No. UA05390101
Alternate name: Chopovitch (Hungarian) and Chopovichi (Ukraine). Chopovichy is located in Zhitomirskaya at 5050 2857, 42 km from Korosten, 25 km from Malin and 120 km from Kiev. The cemetery is located at 2 km to west from village, left from road Chopovichy-Meleny. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 1784. 1926 Jewish population (census) was 1302. Living here was writer-Chepovetskiy Isaak (1921-1992). The last known Hasidic burial was 1993. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated rural (agricultural) flat land between fields and woods has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. No wall or fence, but a non-locking gate, surrounds the cemetery. 21 to 100 stones, most in original location with less than 25% toppled or broken, date from 1916. Locations of any removed stones are unknown. The cemetery has no special sections. Some tombstones have portraits on stones and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains marked mass graves. The municipality owns property now used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are agricultural and Chopovichy-Meleny road. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Rarely, local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized occasionally in the last ten years. There is no maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem, preventing access. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, vegetation and vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion and pollution.
Kogan Leonid of Novograd-Volynskiy, Lenina St. 107, apt. 42. [Phone: (04141)54259] visited site on 22/04/1995. Interviewed on 22/04/1995was Shusterman Eduard Isakovich of Kantemirovskaya 10. Kogan completed survey on 26/04/1995.