US Commission No. UA05180101
Chervonoarmeysk is located in Zhitomirskaya, 47 km from Zhitomir. Present town population is 5,001-25,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 1897. 1926 Jewish population (census) was 1085. The last known Hasidic burial was 1991. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated rural (agricultural) flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A broken fence with no gate surrounds the cemetery. 101 to 500 stones, most in original location with less than 25% toppled or broken, date from 1911. Locations of any removed stones are unknown. Some tombstones have portraits on stones and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains marked mass graves. The cemetery property is now used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are agricultural and Highway. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Rarely, local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized occasionally in the last ten years. Local/municipal authorities and Jewish individuals within country did re-erection of stones and fixed wall. There is no maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem, disturbing graves. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, vegetation and vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion, pollution and proposed nearby development.
Kogan Leonid of Novograd-Volynskiy, Lenina St. 107, Apt. 42. [Phone: 54239] visited site on 7/4/94. Interviewed on 7/4/94 was Priven Evgeniya Abramovna of Chervonoarmeysk, Lenina St. 83. Kogan completed survey on 07/05/1994.