You are here: Home Eastern Europe Ukraine CHERNYAHOV
CHERNYAHOV PDF Print E-mail
CHERNYAHOV I:     US Commission No. UA05250101
Chernyahov is located in Zhitomirskaya at 50�27 28�40, 26 km from Zhitomir and 133 km from Kiev. The cemetery is located at In the eastern part of the village between Kalinina and Jukova Sts. Present town population is 5,001-25,000 with 11-100 Jews.
  • -- Town officials: Chairman of the Village Soviet Krasovsky Valery Adamovich (04134)2-11-46 (04134)2-21-15. Krayevedchesky Museum of Chernyahov, Shevchenko St. 4.
  • -- Regional: Society of Historical Monuments and Cultural Preservation Chairman Borisyuk Nina Eugen'evna [Phone: 04134)370807].
  • -- Jewish Community of Gitomir, Malaya Berdichevskaya St.
  • -- Caretaker: Mayzlich Vasiliy Philimonovich of Chernyahov, Marshala Gukova St. 38.

The earliest known Jewish community was 1775. The Jewish population (census) 1925 was 1270. Living here were writer Buhbinder Iosif Shmulevich (1908-1993), writer Gershenzon Moisey Yakovlevich (1903-1943) and Gorbashov (Shulmas) Leonid Naumovich [dramatist] (1914-1980). The last known Hasidic burial was 1994. v. Potievka (35 km away) used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by per. Zhukova, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds. 101 to 500 stones, most in original location with less than 25% toppled or broken, date from 1903. Locations of any removed stones are unknown. Some tombstones have portraits on stones and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. The municipality owns property now used for Jewish cemetery and waste dumping. Properties adjacent are residential. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Rarely, local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized occasionally in the last ten years. Jewish individuals within country cleared vegetation in Spring 1994. The government pays the regular caretaker. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Water drainage is a seasonal problem. Serious threat: uncontrolled access and pollution. Moderate threat: vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion, vegetation, existing and proposed nearby development.

Kogan Leonid of Novograd-Volynskiy, Lenina St. 107, apt. 42 [Phone: (04141) 54259] visited site and completed survey on 2/25/95. Interviewed on 2/25/95 were Mayzlich Vasiliy Filimonovich and Zavorotnyuk Faina Mikhaylovna of Lenina St. 16, apt. 2 [Phone: (04141)21473].\

CHERNYAKHOV II:     US Commission No. UA05250501
The mass grave is located at East, in the municipal cemetry. Chernyakhov Alternate name: Chernyakhov (Ukraine). The Jewish mass grave was dug in 1941. No other towns or villages Jews were murdered at this unlandmarked mass grave. The urban flat land, part of a municipal cemetery, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A continuous fence with no gate surrounds the mass grave. 1 to 20 stones, all in original location with none toppled or broken, date from 20th century. No stones were removed. The site contains marked mass graves. The municipality owns property now used for mass burial site. Properties adjacent are residential and railroad. Local residents visit occasionally. This mass grave was not vandalized. Local/municipal authorities cleared vegetation. Now, occasionally, authorities clear or clean. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, vegetation and vandalism.
Kogan Leonid of Novograd-Volynskiy , Lenina St. 107, apt.42. [Phone: (04141)54259] visited site on 25/02/1995. Interviewed on 25/02/1995 were

Vladimirskaya Batya Zyamovna of Chernyakhov, Korostenskaya St. 58 and Zavorotnyuk Faina Mikhaylovna of Chernyakhov, Lenina St. 16, apt. 2. Kogan completed survey on 24/06/1995. Other documentation exists but was inaccessible.

 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution