US Commission No. UA1605010\
Alternate name: Chernich (Yiddish) and Chernuchi (German). Chernukhi is located in Poltavskaya at 50�1632�57, 230 km from Poltava and 114 km from Konotop. The cemetery is located at NW, left from road to v. Giltsy. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with fewer than 10 Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was end 18th century. 1926 Jewish population (census) was 366. Effecting the Jewish Community were 1918-1919 pogroms. The Jewish cemetery dates from the 19th century with last known Habad Hasidic burial 1941. v. Kharsiki (1 km away) used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated rural (agricultural) hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds. No stones are visible. Stones removed were incorporated into roads or structures. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. The municipality owns property now used for agriculture (crops or animal grazing) and industrial or commercial use. Properties adjacent are commercial or industrial and agricultural. The cemetery boundaries are smaller now than 1939 because of commercial or industrial development. Rarely, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors and local residents visit. The cemetery was not vandalized in the last ten years. There is no maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery is Gidrodevision [sic] station. Very serious threat: uncontrolled access, vandalism, existing and proposed nearby development. Moderate threat: weather erosion, pollution and vegetation.
Sokolova Eleonora Eugen'evna of 253152, Kiev, Tychiny St. 5, apt.68 [Phone: (044) 5505681] visited site and completed survey on 3/16/95. Interviewed on 3/17/95 were Zub Trofim Sergeevich of Chernuhy, Budaya St. 6 [Phone: (05340) 91529] and Vashchenko Nastas'ya Grigor'yevna of Chernuhy, Komsomolskaya St. 48. Other documentation exists but was inaccessible.