US Commission No. UA25050101
The earliest known Jewish community was beginning 19th century. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 100. The last known Hasidic burial was 1990s. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated suburban flat land has signs or plaques in Hebrew mentioning famous individuals buried in cemetery. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open with permission. A continuous fence with locking gate surrounds the cemetery. 501 to 5000 stones, most in original location with less than 25% toppled or broken, date from 19th century. Location of any removed stones is unknown. The cemetery has no special sections. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. The municipality owns property now used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are agricultural and residential. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Occasionally, organized Jewish group tours or pilgrimage groups, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors and local residents visit. The cemetery was not vandalized in the last ten years. Jewish groups abroad cleared vegetation and fixed wall and gate in 1990s. The regular caretaker is paid by contributions from visitors. Within the limits of the cemetery are other structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem, preventing access. Slight threat: weather erosion, vegetation, existing and proposed nearby development.
Hodorkovskiy Yuriy Isaakovich of 252037 Kiev, Vozduhoflotskiy Prosp. 37A, apt. 23 [Phone: (044)2769505] visited site on 07/1994. Interviewed was Nesteryuk G.G. in 1994. Hodorkovskiy completed survey 08/20/1994.