You are here: Home Eastern Europe Ukraine CHERNIHIV (CHERNIGOV)
CHERNIHIV (CHERNIGOV) PDF Print E-mail

Alternate names: Chernihiv-Чернігів [Ukr], Chernigov-Чернигов [Rus], Tshernigov [Yid], Charnihau [Bel], Czernihów [Pol], Tschernigow [Ger], Cernigovas [Lith]. 51°30' N, 31°18' E, in N Ukraine, 81 miles NNE of Kyyiv (Kiev). 1900 Jewish population: 8,779. Jewish Community. [September 2009]

CHERNIGOV I:     US Commission No. UA24010101
Alternate name: Tschernigov (Yiddish) and Czernihow (German). Chernigov is located in Chernigovskaya at 5130 3118, 133 km from Kiev. The cemetery is located W at Lubechskaya St., Trol.#5, 6, Station, 'Voykova St. Present town population is over 100,000 with 1,001-10,000 Jews.

  • Town officials: Jewish Community Center, Kagno Feliks Samuilovich [Phone: (04622)42391] at Jewish Community, 250000, Chernigov, P.O.Box 1355 [Phone: (04622)71437].

The earliest known Jewish community was 13th century. 1926 Jewish population (census) was 10607. Effecting the Jewish Community were 1623, 1648, 1905, 1918, and 1919 pogroms. Living here mid-19th century were Perez Hen and Hayyim David Zevi Hen, son Pezer Hen. The last known Habbad Hasidic burial was 1975. Sednev, Repky, and Lubech (all 37 km away) used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated urban flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing private property, access is open to all. The cemetery is surrounded locking gate. 501 to 5000 stones with less than 25% toppled or broken date from 1863 to the 20th century. No stones were removed. The cemetery has special sections for men and women. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces, portraits on stones and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. The municipality owns property now used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent are commercial or industrial and residential. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Frequently, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors and local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized frequently in the last ten years. Local/municipal authorities and Jewish individuals within country did re-erection of stones, patched broken stones, cleaned stones and cleared vegetation in 1975 and 1991-1995. The government pays the regular caretaker. Within the limits of the cemetery are more than one ohel. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem, disturbing graves. Water drainage is a seasonal problem. Serious threat: vandalism. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion, pollution and vegetation.

Sokolova Eleonora Evgeniyevna of 253152, Kiev, Tychiny Pr. 5, apt. 68 [Phone: (044) 5505681] visited site and completed survey on 23/02/1995. Interviewed on 23/02/1995 were Kagno Feliks Samuilovich [(04622) 42391 and 40985] and Voloshina Ekaterina Iosofovna of Malyasovskaya St. 37, apt. 2, [Phone: (04622) 71437]. Other documentation exists but was inaccessible.

CHERNIGOV II:     US Commission No. UA24010501
The mass grave is located at N, 'Berezoviy Rov', near Lenina St. highway Chernigov-Gomel. The Jewish mass grave was dug in 1941 with last known Jewish burial 1943. No other towns or villages Jews were murdered at this unlandmarked mass grave. The isolated urban site by water has signs or plaques in local language and in Hebrew mentioning the Holocaust. Reached by turning directly off a public road and other, access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds. 1 to 20 common tombstones, all in original location with none toppled or broken, date from 1963. No stones were removed. The site contains marked mass graves. The municipality owns property now used for mass burial site. Properties adjacent are commercial or industrial, residential and other. Occasionally, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors and local residents visit. This mass grave was not vandalized. Now, occasionally, authorities clear or clean. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem, preventing access. Moderate threat: weather erosion and vegetation. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, pollution and vandalism.
Sokolova Eleonora Evgeniyevna of 253152, Kiev, Tychiny Pr. 5, apt. 68 [Phone: (044) 5505681] visited site and completed survey on 25/02/1995. Kagno Feliks Samuilovich [(04622) 42391 and 40985] and Shpilevskiy Evgeniy Anatolievich [Phone: (04622) 73167] were interviewed on 25/02/1995 for this survey. Other documentation exists but was inaccessible.

CHERNIGOV III:     US Commission No. UA24010502
The mass grave is located at 50 let VLKSM St., NW part of town. The Jewish mass grave was dug in 1941 with last known Jewish burial was 1943. No other towns or villages Jews were murdered at this unlandmarked mass grave. The urban flat land, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road and other. The access is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds. 1 to 20 common tombstones, all in original location with none toppled or broken, date from 1963. No stones were removed. The site contains marked mass graves. The municipality owns property now used for mass burial site. Properties adjacent are residential. Occasionally, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors and local residents visit. This mass grave was not vandalized. Now, occasionally, authorities clear or clean. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion, pollution and vegetation.

Sokolova Eleonora Evgeniyevna of 253152, Kiev, Tychiny Pr. 5, apt. 68 [Phone: (044) 5505681] visited site and completed survey on 25/02/1995. Kagno Feliks Samuilovich [(04622) 42391 and 40985] and Shpilevskiy Evgeniy Anatolievich [Phone: (04622)73167] were interviewed on 25/02/1995 for this survey. Other documentation exists but was inaccessible.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 09 September 2009 16:39
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution