You are here: Home Eastern Europe Ukraine CHERNEVTCI:
CHERNEVTCI: PDF Print E-mail
CHERNEVTCI:     US Commission No. UA01070101
Chernevtci is located in Vinnitskaya at 48�32 28�7, 25 km from Mogilev-Podolski and 82 km from Vinnitsa. The cemetery is located in W outskirts on hill of right bank toward Murawka. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with 11-100 Jews.
-- Town officials: Town Executive Council, Sobolevski Petro Bropuslavich.
-- Regional: Vinnitski Oblast Council, Melnick Nikola Evtuhovich [Phone: (0432) 327540].
-- Town officials: Vinnitski Oblast Jewish Community, Gubenko Bella Aronovna [Phone: (0432) 315666].
Others: Vinnitski Oblast Cultural Society of Ilchyk Nikola Nikolaevich [Phone: (0432) 325637].
The earliest known Jewish community was 16th century. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 1917. Effecting the Jewish Community were 1648-9Chmelnitski Pogroms, 1768-72 Barskoj Conference Pogroms, 1941-44 Ghetto, and shooting of 15 Jews in Aug. 1941. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery dates from the 18th century with last known Hasidic burial 1994. The isolated suburban agricultural hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A broken masonry wall and a broken fence with non-locking gate surround the cemetery. 501 to 5000 stones, most in original location with less than 25% toppled or broken, date from the 18th to 20th century. Locations of any removed stones are unknown. The cemetery has special sections for men and women. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces, metallic elements, portraits on stones and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. The municipality owns property now used for Jewish cemetery and agricultural use (crops or animal grazing). Properties adjacent are agricultural and residential. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Frequently, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors stop. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II and occasionally in the last ten years. Jewish individuals within country and abroad did re-erection of stones, patched broken stones, cleaned stones and cleared vegetation in 1945-1948. Occasionally, individuals clear or clean. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem, disturbing graves and stones. Water drainage is a seasonal problem. Very serious threat: vegetation (70% overgrown). Serious threat: uncontrolled access, Moderate threat: vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion, pollution and existing nearby development.
Oks Vladimir Moiseevich of 270065, Odessa, Varnenskaya, 17D, apt. 52 [Phone: (0482) 665950] visited site and completed survey on 7/6/94. Interviewed were Jewish from Chernovtsi. Documentation: City Populations of the Russian Empire, Podol region, 1864; Population of towns of the Podol region, Krilov, 1905; Historical monuments in Podol-Kamanets region, Gulman 1901; National Minorities in Ukraine, Register, 1925. Other documentation exists but was inaccessible.
US Commission No. UA01070101
Chernevtci is located in Vinnitskaya at 48�32 28�7, 25 km from Mogilev-Podolski and 82 km from Vinnitsa. The cemetery is located in W outskirts on hill of right bank toward Murawka. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with 11-100 Jews.
-- Town officials: Town Executive Council, Sobolevski Petro Bropuslavich.
-- Regional: Vinnitski Oblast Council, Melnick Nikola Evtuhovich [Phone: (0432) 327540].
-- Town officials: Vinnitski Oblast Jewish Community, Gubenko Bella Aronovna [Phone: (0432) 315666].
Others: Vinnitski Oblast Cultural Society of Ilchyk Nikola Nikolaevich [Phone: (0432) 325637].
The earliest known Jewish community was 16th century. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 1917. Effecting the Jewish Community were 1648-9Chmelnitski Pogroms, 1768-72 Barskoj Conference Pogroms, 1941-44 Ghetto, and shooting of 15 Jews in Aug. 1941. The unlandmarked Jewish cemetery dates from the 18th century with last known Hasidic burial 1994. The isolated suburban agricultural hillside has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A broken masonry wall and a broken fence with non-locking gate surround the cemetery. 501 to 5000 stones, most in original location with less than 25% toppled or broken, date from the 18th to 20th century. Locations of any removed stones are unknown. The cemetery has special sections for men and women. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces, metallic elements, portraits on stones and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. The municipality owns property now used for Jewish cemetery and agricultural use (crops or animal grazing). Properties adjacent are agricultural and residential. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Frequently, Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors stop. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II and occasionally in the last ten years. Jewish individuals within country and abroad did re-erection of stones, patched broken stones, cleaned stones and cleared vegetation in 1945-1948. Occasionally, individuals clear or clean. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem, disturbing graves and stones. Water drainage is a seasonal problem. Very serious threat: vegetation (70% overgrown). Serious threat: uncontrolled access, Moderate threat: vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion, pollution and existing nearby development.
Oks Vladimir Moiseevich of 270065, Odessa, Varnenskaya, 17D, apt. 52 [Phone: (0482) 665950] visited site and completed survey on 7/6/94. Interviewed were Jewish from Chernovtsi. Documentation: City Populations of the Russian Empire, Podol region, 1864; Population of towns of the Podol region, Krilov, 1905; Historical monuments in Podol-Kamanets region, Gulman 1901; National Minorities in Ukraine, Register, 1925. Other documentation exists but was inaccessible.
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution