|CHERKASY: Kiev [Cherkassy, Czerkasy, Cherkoss,Tscherkassy,Cherkassi, Cerkasy, Cherkass]|
In 1959, about 5,100 Jews (6%) lived in Cherkassy. In the late 1950's, local authorities closed te last operating synagogue, allegedly due to the fact that the building prevented the implementation of reconstruction plans of the city. According to the 1989 census, there were 3,538 Jews in Cherkasy, and 6,505 - in Cherkassy region. In the early 1990's. Jewish life of Cherkasy was revived with a Progressive community and an Orthodox community. In the 1990's, many Jews from Cherkasy emigrated to Israel and other countries. In 2008, partly due to the efforts of Rabbi Yisroel Meir Gabai, who deals with identification and perpetuation of memory of the Jewish tzadikim, a memorial plaque was installed at the tomb of Rabbi Yaakov Yisroel of Cherkas
2009 descecration of one of the cemeteries, which is unspecified. [August 2013]
Jews from here may have been buried at Belozirye also.
Cemetery 1: Continuous fence with no gate, sign or marker. 5000+ gravestones, the oldest from 1947. Used only as a Jewish cemetery. [May 2010]
tzaddik tomb. [September 2009]
Proletarska Street Cemetery: in front of the building No. 41 The cemetery is separated from Proletarskaya Street and Shevchenko Boulevard with a low stone border with brick pillars and a metal grid between them. From the side of Chkalova alley, there is a concrete fence approximately two meters in height. Isolated and near water.
Odeska Street Cemetery: SW part of the city: oldest stone dates from 1962. Continuous fence and gate with no lock. Jewish symbols on gate or wall. 5000+ gravestones. Jewish cemetery use only. pictures.
Vatutin Street Cemetery: Eastern part of city. oldest stone dates from 1905. Broken fence and gate that locks. Sign in Ukrainian. 21 to 100 gravestones. Land used for Jewish cemetery and residential purposes.
pictures. [August 2013]
Melnikov Street Cenetery: at and deep gorge Repyahovogo ravine. Russian article says the cemetery was opened in 1894,. No further burials were permitted as of 1937. Some graves were destroyed during the Nazi occupation, but further destruction was primarily done in the 1960's.by the Soviets. In 1994 The San Francisco Jewish community erected a symbolic fence. At the bottom of the slopes in the nearby ravine are many more tombstones. [Apr 2014]
|Last Updated on Sunday, 13 April 2014 13:19|