|BUSK: [Busik, Bisik]|
Busk [Pol, Yid, Rus], Bus'k [Ukr], Bisk. 49°58' N, 24°38' E, Ukrainian: Буськ.
US Commission No. UA13560101
The earliest mention of Jewish community is 1510. The Jewish population was 2545 Jews in 1910. Privileges granted by King Sigismund-Avgust in 1564. Ukrainian-Polish War of 1648-1655. 1750-1759, Y.L. Franko and his sect effected town. The unlandmarked cemetery was created at the end of the 15th century with last known Orthodox Jewish burial in 1930s. The isolated urban hillside near the water has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off the road, access is open to all. The cemetery is surrounded by masonry wall with splits and unlocked with no gate. The approximate size of the cemetery before the World War II was 1,35 hectares The oldest known gravestone on the cemetery dates from the end of 15th century. 100-500 tombstones, all in original location with 50%-75% broken, date from 15th or 16th century. The cemetery is divided into sections: men and women. The sandstone and slate finely smoothed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration or double stones have Hebrew inscriptions. The cemetery contains unmarked mass graves. The municipality owns property used as Jewish cemetery and for cattle grazing. The stolen tombstones were used as building materials. The cemetery borders a residential area. The cemetery boundaries are smaller than in 1939 because of the housing development. The cemetery is visited from time to time by organized individual tours and private visitors. The cemetery was been vandalized during the World War II and since. There has been no care. Residences were built in the W part of the cemetery. Very serious threat: safety, vandalism, erosion, vegetation overgrowth. The cemetery in Busk is one that remains, but annually the number of the stones lessens, especially in upper part of the cemetery. During the cemetery visit, traces excavation of stones of 16th century. Down near the river the stones are covered with thick bushes. Moderate threat: incompatibility with present and planned construction. Slight threat: pollution.
Iosif Gelston, Lvov, 290049, PO Box 10569, tel./fax: (0322) 227490 completed survey on 4.10.1998. Documentation: CSHA, Fond 186, Inventory 6, 103 points of safe, page 18; Jewish Encyclopedia , B.5, p.115, 116, Petersburg; Basic plan of Busk, scale 1:5000, 1982. He visited the site for this survey on 2.10.1998 and interviewed Vovk Vasil Iosipovich, town soviet chairman, tel.: 21194, citizen of Busk.
[UPDATE] Photos from Oles'ko and Busk [January 2015]
|Last Updated on Wednesday, 29 July 2015 14:44|