.Alternate names:Bohdan; Tiszabogdany (Hungarian), Bogdan (Ukrainian) in Zakarpats'ka Oblast at 48'03" 24'26", 10 km.from Rakhov. Present total town population is 1,000 - 5,000 with no Jews.
The last known Jewish burial in this Ashkenazi Orthodox cemetery probably was 1944. Approximate distance from congregation that used it is one-half mile across the river. The isolated rural (woods/forest) site on a hillside has no sign or marker and is reached by walking uphill on a dirt path just north of Tisza River. Access is open to all via some wooden rail fences with no gate on one side and trees on other. The size is less than one-quarter acre. Present size of cemetery is less than one-quarter acre. 1 to 20 gravestones are visible, some not in original location. Vegetation and water drainage are not a problem. Markers are simple stones, two to five feet high with Hebrew inscriptions, some leaning markedly. No known mass graves. The cemetery property is used for Jewish cemetery only. Properties adjacent to cemetery are forest and meadow. The cemetery is visited rarely. No caretaker, but cemetery appears in good condition. No structures. No serious threats.
|Last Updated on Saturday, 10 January 2015 12:56|