Alternate names: Berezdov and Берездов [Rus], Berezdiv and Берездів [Ukr], Berezdów [Pol]. 50°28' N, 27°07' E, 127 miles N of Kamyanets-Podilskyy, 24 miles WSW of Novohrad Volynskyy. 1900 Jewish population: 1,319.
Also may have used Kutki or Zhovtnevoye cemetery.
synagogue photo. [August 2005]
CEMETERY: US Commission No. UA22310101
The earliest known Jewish community was 17th century. 1926 Jewish population (census) was 950. In 1618, Krim Tartar abducted local residents. Rav Haim Stepansky lived and is buried here. The Jewish cemetery was established in the 18th century with last known Hasidic Jewish burial 1942. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated suburban agricultural flat land has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing public property, access is open to all. A continuous fence without a gate surrounds the cemetery. 21 to 100 common tombstones, most in original location and more than 75% toppled or broken, date from the 19th century. Location of removed stones is unknown. The cemetery contains marked mass graves. The municipality owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural. The cemetery boundaries are smaller now than 1939 because of agriculture. The cemetery is visited occasionally by organized individual tours and local residents. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. Jewish individuals within country fixed wall in 1992. Now, there is occasional clearing or cleaning by authorities. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, vegetation and vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion and pollution. Documentation exists but was inaccessible.
|Last Updated on Monday, 31 December 2012 12:26|