BERESLAVKA I: US Commission No. UA10110101
Cemetery: northern outskirts of the village. Bereslavka is 74 km from Kirovograd and 19 km from Bobrinets. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
In 1791, the region entered the Jewish Pale. In the middle of 19th century, Jewish agricultural colonies began. In 1905, the Civil War generated Jewish Pogroms. 1941-1943 was the Holocaust. The last known Hasidic Jewish burial was in 1940. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated rural (agricultural) flat land by water had no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII and now is 0.30 hectares. 21 to 100 stones, most in original location, date from 19th-20th centuries. Location of removed stones is unknown. The cemetery has only common tombstones and no known mass graves. The municipality owns the property used for agriculture (crops or animal grazing). Adjacent properties are agricultural. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Rarely, local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. There is no maintenance or structures. Serious threat: uncontrolled access, vegetation (constant problem), and vandalism (land used as tillage). Moderate threat: weather erosion (constant problem) and pollution. No threat: existing and proposed nearby development.
- Town: The chairman of the Village Executive soviet, Sorochan Viktor Fyodorovich of Kirovogradskaya Oblast, Bobrinetskiy rayon, Vasilyevka village, [ph: (05257)31661]. Tsesarskaya Larisa Naumovna, the local resident of the Bobrinets. [ph: (05257)31364].
- Regional: The chairman of the Regional State Administration Berger Sergey Vladimiro- of vich, Bobrinets, Lenina St., N78, [ph: (05257) 31055]. The chairman of the Oblast state administration gromovoy Mikhail Filipovich of Kirovograd, Kirova Sq., [ph: (0522)240330]. Town: The chairman of the Jewish Community is Elbert Leonid Solomonovich of Kirovograd, 50 let Oktyabra St., N25, apt.33 [ph: (0522) 232283]. The main architect of the region Morgunskiy Vladimir Filipovich. [ph: (05257)32668].
- Caretaker: none
Documentation: The History of Towns and Villages of Ukraine Kirovogradskaya Oblast., Kiev, 1972; Borovoy S.A. Jewish agricultural colonies in old Russia , Moskow, 1928. Khodorkovskiy Yuriy Isaakovich of Kiev, Vozdukhoflotskiy St., N37-A, apt.23 [ph: (044) 2769505] visited site on 04/11/1996 and interviewed Morgunskiy V.F., main architect of the region, [ph: (05257) 32668] on 04/11/1996. He completed survey on 13/11/1996.
BERESLAVKA II: US Commission No. UA10110501
The 1941 unlandmarked mass grave for Bereslavka Jews is located at the central part of the village. The isolated urban flat land has signs or plaques in local language mentioning "other." Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. No wall, gate, or fence surrounds the 0.01 hectares mass grave. 1-20 20th century common tombstones are all in original location. The site contains marked mass graves. The municipality owns the property only used for Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural and residential. The mass grave boundaries are larger now than 1939. The mass grave is visited occasionally by local residents. This mass grave was not vandalized. Local/municipal authorities did the work cleared vegetation in 1960-1996. Within the limits of the mass grave are no structures. Moderate threat: pollution and vegetation. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion (seasonal), vandalism, existing and proposed nearby development.
Khodorkovskiy Yuriy Isaakovich of Kiev, Vozdukhoflotskiy St., N37-A, apt.23 [ph: (044) 2769505] completed survey on 13/11/1996.