BELYI KAMEN Print

Alternate names: Belyy Kamen', Білий Камінь [Rus], Biały Kamień [Pol], Bialikomin, ביאלי קמיין [Yid], Bilyi Kamin' [Ukr], Bialykamień, Bilkamin. 49°54' N, 24°50' E, 37 miles E of L'viv (Lvov), 8 miles NW of Zolochiv (Złoczów). 1900 Jewish population: 1,704. Yizkor: Pinkas ha-kehilot; entsiklopediya shel ha-yishuvim le-min hivasdam ve-ad le-aher shoat milhemet ha-olam ha-sheniya: Poland vol. 2: Eastern Galicia (Jerusalem, 1980). [August 2009]

BELYI KAMEN I:       US Commission No. UA13540101
Alternative names: German: Biali Kamen; Polish: Bialy Kamien. Located in Lvovskaya Oblast at 49º54' 24º50', 73 km from Lvov. Cemetery: W of the town, behind the river, behind the church. Present town population is 1000-5000 with no Jews.

  • Town: village soviet chairman Vladimir Mikhailovich Vazhnyi, tel.: 93234, 93218. Center of the village behind the river, next to the school.
  • Local: village soviet of Belyi Kamen.
  • Regional: Lvov Regional State Administration, Lvov Vinnichenko St., 18, reception room, tel.: 722947, 728093. Lvov Jewish Community, Lvov Mikhnovskih St. 4, Rabbi Mordekhai Shloime Bold, tel.: 330524. Lvov Center State Historical Archives (CSHA), Sobornaya square 3a, tel.: 723508.

The unlocked cemetery has is no caretaker. The earliest date of mention about Jewish community in the town is 1629. 1909 Jewish population was 3414. Ukrainian-Polish War (1648-1655) effected community. The unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery was created in the 17th century with last known Jewish burial in 19th century. The isolated urban plain, near the river has no sign or marker. Reached by crossing other public properties (yard behind the church), access is open to all with no wall, fence or gate. The approximate size of the cemetery before the World War II was 0,42 hectares. 1-20 tombstones, of which more than 75% of stones are broken, date from 18th and 19th centuries. Some removed stones are part of roads and structures in Belyi Kamen. The oldest known gravestone on the cemetery is dated 18th century. The sandstone finely smoothed stones with signs and flat stones with carved relief decoration have Hebrew inscriptions. There are no separate monuments, structures, or mass graves. The municipality owns and uses the property as Jewish cemetery and for cattle grazing. The cemetery borders residential area. The boundaries are smaller than in 1939 because of the housing development and agriculture. The cemetery is visited from time to time by private citizens. The cemetery was vandalized during the World War II and since then with no care or restoration. Serious threat: vandalism. Five years ago, the number of the gravestones was large. Now, only 5 pieces of tombstones have been found. The rest of the stones are stolen as building material. Moderate threat: erosion, pollution, vegetation overgrowth, and incompatibility constructions. Slight threat: safety, incompatibility with planned construction.
Iosif Gelston, Lvov, 290049, p/o box 10569, tel./fax: (0322) 227490 completed survey on 7.11.1998. Documentation: CSHA, Fond 186, Inventory 6, 56 points of safe; Jewish Encyclopedia, B.5, p.190, St Petersburg, 1909; Basic plan of Belyi Kamen, Lvov, scale-1:5000. He visited the site for this survey in 15.10.1998. Boichenko Ganna Zinovievna, an old citizen of the village Belyi Kamen, was interviewed.
BELYI KAMEN II:       US Commission No. UA13540102
Cemetery: N part of the village, in front of the Christian cemetery and left of the main road entering the village. The unlocked cemetery has no caretaker. The 19th century, unlandmarked Orthodox cemetery's last known Jewish burial was before June 1941. The isolated suburban plain with no sign or marker is reached by turning directly off the road. Access is open to all with no wall, fence, gate or tombstones. More than 75% of stones are broken. Some removed stones are part of roads or structures in Belyi Kamen. There are no separate monuments, structures or mass graves. The municipality owns and uses property as Jewish cemetery and tillage field. The cemetery borders an agricultural area. Across the road is a Christian cemetery. The cemetery boundaries are smaller than in 1939 because of the agriculture. The cemetery is visited rarely by local citizens. The cemetery was been vandalized during the World War II and since with no care or restoration. Serious threat: vandalism during and after war years. The cemetery was demolished and turned into tillage. Moderate threat: pollution, incompatibility with planned construction. Slight threat: safety, erosion, vegetation overgrowth, and incompatibility with constructions.
Iosif Gelston, Lvov, 290049, PO Box 10569, tel./fax: (0322) 227490 completed survey on 7.11.1998. Documentation: Jewish Encyclopedia, B.5, p.190, St Petersburg, 1909; Basic plan of Belyi Kamen, Lvov, scale 1:5000; CSHA, Fond 9, Inventory 1, 380 points of safe, pages 1944-1945. Iosif Gelston visited the site on 15.10.1998. Korinkevich Yaroslava Mikhailovna, an old citizen of village Belyi Kamen and Boichenko Ganna Zinovievna, an old citizen of village Belyi Kamen, were interviewed.

 

Photo taken in Sept. 2006 was contributed by This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it , Portage, MI [August 2009] - "It is used as farmland and no sign it ever was a cemetery."

 

Last Updated on Tuesday, 11 August 2009 04:49