|BILYLIVKA [BELILOVKA, Білилівка]|
Alternate names: Belilovka [Rus Белиловка, Yid], Bilylivka AND Білилівка [Ukr], Byelilovka. 49°41' N, 29°02' E, 42 miles SSE of Zhytomyr, 25 miles SE of Berdychiv, 9 miles WSW of Ruzhin. Jewish population: 2,223 (in 1897), 1,897 (in 1926).
BELILOVKA I: US Commission No. UA05450101
Alternate names: Belilovka (Yiddish), Bialolowka (German) and Bilolowka (Hungarian). Belilovka is located in Zhitomirskaya at 49º41 25º20, 20 km from Puzhin and 64 km from Vinnitsa. Cemetery: Shevchenko St., SW. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
Local: Village Council of Sokolovskaya Ludmila Antonovna [ph: (071) 96142]. Schiglik Mikhail Yakovlyevich of Ruzhin, Zhitomirskay St., 2a [ph: (04138) 91572].
The earliest known Jewish community was 1719. 1926 Jewish population (census) was 198. In 1926, Jewish Council was established. The Jewish cemetery was established in the 18th century with last known Hasidic Jewish burial 1940. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated flat rural (agricultural) site has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. 21 to 100 stones, most in original location with 50%-75% toppled or broken, date from 1909. Location of removed stones is unknown. The cemetery has only common tombstones and no known mass graves. The municipality owns the property used for Jewish cemetery use and agriculture (crops or animal grazing). Adjacent properties are agricultural and residential. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Rarely, local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. There is no maintenance now. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem, disturbing graves. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, pollution, vegetation and vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion and proposed nearby development.
The unlandmarked 1941 mass grave for Hasidic Jews of town is located at near Rostavitsa rail station. Between fields and woods, the isolated flat land has no sign or marker but has markings. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all. A continuous fence with no gate surrounds the mass grave, 1-20 stones, in original location and none toppled, removed, or broken, date from 1960. The mass grave has metal fences around graves. The municipality owns the property only used for mass burial site. Adjacent properties are agricultural. The mass grave boundaries are larger now than 1939. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors and local residents visit. This mass grave was not vandalized. Local/municipal authorities and Jewish individuals within country erected stones in 1960. Now, there is occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access and vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion, pollution, vegetation, and proposed nearby development.
|Last Updated on Friday, 11 October 2013 01:09|