Historical: Babin, Cernăuţi County (now Babin, Chernivtsi Oblast, Ukraine) 48°20' N 25°29' E
- BABIN: US Commission No. UA25190501
- Alternate name: Babin (Yiddish) and Bukovina (German). Babin is located in Chernovitskaya at 48º20 25º29, 29km from Zastavna and 32km from Chernovtsy. The mass grave is located at NW part of the village. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
- Town: Village Soviet of Chairman-Dumitryuk Ivan Ivanovich [ph: (03737) 26542].
- Regional: Region Executive committee of Chairman-Kitsa Ivan Ivanovich [ph: (03737) 21939]. Region Executive committee of Chairman-Gasyuk P.P. [ph: (03722) 22640]. Jewish Community in Chernovtsy of Finkyel Eugeniya Manusovna [ph: (03722) 24170] Jewish Foundation of Tau Yakov Adolfovich [ph: (03722) 21940].
- Others: Usatiy Valentin Vasilyevich [ph: (03722) 22486]. Yakivchik Igor Petrovich, Director of the school in Babin [ph: (03737) 26886].
- 1939 Jewish population (census) was 64. The unlandmarked 1943 mass grave location is isolated rural (agricultural) flat landmarked with signs or plaques in local language mentioning Jews and the Holocaust. Reached by crossing other public property (On the road to v. Probabin Ivano-Frankovsky region), access is open to all with a continuous fence with no gate. 1-20 stones, all in original location and none toppled, broken, or removed, date from 1994. The mass grave contains marked mass graves. The municipality owns the property only used for mass burial site. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Occasionally, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors and local residents visit. This mass grave was not vandalized. Local/municipal authorities erected multi-stone monument in 1994. Now, there is occasional clearing or cleaning by authorities. Within the limits of the mass grave are no structures. Slight threat: weather erosion, vandalism and existing nearby development.
- Hodorkovsky Yuriy Isaakovich of 252037, Ukraine, Kiev, Vozduhoflotsky 37a, 23 [ph: (044) 2769505] visited site on 3/16/95 and interviewed Usatyy V.V. of Zastavna on 3/15/95. He completed survey on 03/19/1995.
Last Updated on Monday, 24 March 2014 20:24