Andrevevskiy Bayrak, Andreyevskiy-Bayrak. 50°40' N 34°20' E. 168.1 miles E of Kyyiv.
US Commission No. UA15380101
The earliest known Jewish community was 19th century. Effecting community were 1768-1772 and 1882 pogroms, 1905 Revolution, and 1920 [sic]. The last known Hasidic Jewish burial was 1984. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated flat rural (agricultural) site has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. 101-500 stones, 50%-75% toppled or broken, date from the 19th-20th centuries. Location of removed stones is unknown. The cemetery has no special sections. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces, portraits on stones, and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains marked mass graves. The municipality owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are agricultural. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. The cemetery is visited rarely by organized individual tours, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors, and local residents. No vandalism is reported in last ten years. Local/municipal authorities patched broken stones, cleaned stones and cleared vegetation in 1993. There is occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals now. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem, disturbing graves and damaging stones. Water drainage is a seasonal problem. Moderate threats: uncontrolled access, pollution and vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion and vegetation. Other documentation was inaccessible.
Oks Vladimir Moiseevich of 270065, Odessa, Varnenskaya St., 17D, apt. 52 [ph: (0482) 665950] visited site on 10/10/94 and interviewed Kurits B.A. on 10/10/94. This survey was completed by Yulia Shwartz of 253152, Kiev, Buchmy St., 5/1, Apt. 8 [ph: (044) 5503228] on 04/01/1996.
|Last Updated on Saturday, 08 May 2010 02:48|