ALEKSANDROVKA I: US Commission No. UA10040101
Cemetery: west part of the village on Volodarskogo St., Aleksandrovka is 81km from Kirovograd. Present town population is 5,001-25,000 with 11-100 Jews.
There is no caretaker. The earliest known Jewish community was 19th century. 1897 Jewish population was 3213. Effecting community were 1785-Aleksandrovka got the status of the little town, 1905-Jewish pogroms, 1791-entrance into the Jewish Pale. The last known Hasidic Jewish burial was in 1941. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated, urban, flat land with no sign or marker, Reached by turning directly off a public road, is open to all. No wall, fence, or gate surrounds the cemetery. The approximate size of cemetery before WWII and now is 1.00 hectares. 101-500 stones, few in original location, date from 19th-20th centuries. Location of removed stones is unknown. The cemetery has only common tombstones. The municipality owns the property used for agriculture (crops or animal grazing). Adjacent properties are residential. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors and local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II and occasionally in the last 10 years. No maintenance or care recorded. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Serious threat: uncontrolled access, vegetation (overgrown). Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem, disturbing graves. Water drainage at the cemetery is a constant problem. Vandalism is local residents using the site as tillage and many other examples. Moderate threat: weather erosion, pollution and proposed nearby development.
Documentation: The History of Towns and Villages of Ukraine Kirovogradskaya Oblast . Kiev, 1972; Kirovograshchina in the Years of World War 2, 1941-1945 . The collection of documents and materials. Dnepropetrovsk.1965; and Jewish Encyclopedia . Khodorkovskiy Yuriy Isaakovich of Kiev, Vozdukhoflotskiy St., N37-A, apt.23 [ph: (044) 2769505] visited site on 12/11/1996 and interviewed Lavrinenko Vladimir Dmitriyevich [ph: (05242) 52353] on 06/11/1996. He completed survey on 12/11/1996.
ALEKSANDROVKA II: US Commission No. UA10040501
Khodorkovskiy Yuriy Isaakovich of Kiev, Vozdukhoflotskiy St., N37-A, apt.23 [ph: (044)2769505] survey site on 06/11/1996 and interviewed Lavrinenko V.D. (The main Architect of the Aleksandrovskiy Rayon) [ph: (05242) 52353] on 06/11/1996. He completed survey on 12/11/1996.
|Last Updated on Friday, 28 August 2009 20:01|