ALEKSANDROVKA I: US Commission No. UA06540101
The earliest known Jewish community was mid-19th century. 1926 Jewish population (census) was 120. Effecting community were 1918-Zakarpatye transfer to Czech and 1944 deportation of Jews to the death camp. The last known Hasidic Jewish burial was 1964. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated urban flat land by water has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a continuous fence with no gate. 101-500 stones, most in original location and 25%-50% toppled or broken, date from the 19th century. Location of removed stones is unknown. The cemetery has no special sections or known mass graves. Some tombstones have metal fences around graves. The municipality owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are residential. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Occasionally, organized individual tours and local residents visit. The cemetery was vandalized during World War II. Re-erection of stones, patching broken stones, cleaning stones and clearing vegetation by Jewish individuals within country and Jewish individuals abroad was done 1945-1950. Now, there is occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a seasonal problem preventing access. Water drainage is a seasonal problem. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, vegetation and vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion, pollution and existing nearby development.
ALEKSANDROVKA II: US Commission No. UA10040501
The mass grave is located at SW outskirts of the village, town cemetery, Pobedi St. The Orthodox (Sephardic) Jewish community mass grave dates from 1941. Yelizavetgradka (25km away) and Krasnoselye (25km away) Jews were murdered in this unlandmarked mass grave. The suburban hillside, part of a municipal cemetery, has signs or plaques in local language mentioning the Holocaust. It is reached from the center on the Pobedi St. Access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. The approximate size is now 0.01 hectares. 1-20 stones, all in original location, date from the 20th century. No stones were removed. The marked mass grave has only common tombstones. The municipality owns the property only used for Jewish cemetery and a mixed cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. The mass grave boundaries are larger now than 1939. Occasionally, organized individual tours and Jewish or non-Jewish private visitors stop. This mass grave was not vandalized. Local/municipal authoritiese-erected stones and cleared vegetation was done from 1956 up to 1996. Now, there is occasional clearing or cleaning by authorities. Within the limits of the mass grave are no structures. Moderate threat: vandalism. Slight threat: uncontrolled access, weather erosion and pollution. No threat: vegetation, existing and proposed nearby development.
Khodorkovskiy Yuriy Isaakovich of Kiev, Vozdukhoflotskiy St., N37-A, apt.23 [ph: (044)2769505] survey site on 06/11/1996 and interviewed Lavrinenko V.D. (The main Architect of the Aleksandrovskiy Rayon) [ph: (05242) 52353] on 06/11/1996. He completed survey on 12/11/1996.
|Last Updated on Saturday, 08 May 2010 02:43|