Alternate names: Aleksandria (Yiddish), Aleksandriia (German), Aleksandrija (Hungarian) and Aleksandriya (Russian, and Becha. 51°30' N 24°50' E, 257.8 miles WNW of Kyyiv. Jews settled in Aleksandriya at the end of the 18th century. Jewish population: 1864-2,474, 1897-3,735 (26%), 1926-4,595 (23%), and 1939-1,420. In 1910 the community had five synagogues, a talmud torah and a school. Local Jews engaged mainly in garment manufacturing. On April 23, 1882, Jewish shops and homes were pillaged. On Yom Kippur 1904 (September 6), three Jews were killed and several injured. In 1919-20, Aleksandriya was the headquarters of Ataman Grigoryev, leader of the Ukrainian pogrom bands. Denikin's "White" army also terrorized the Jews. During the Soviet period most of the Jews worked as artisans in cooperatives. The central Chabad synagogue still operated in the early 1930s. The Germans occupied on August 6, 1941, murdering 463 males on September 19 and over 300 on August 29. 2,572 were murdered in total including Jews from the surrounding area. Yizkor. Jewish history. [August 2009]
CEMETERY: A Holocaust monument was dedicated on May 28, 2006 with representatives of the Federation of Jewish Communities of Ukraine, government officials, the local Jewish community and hundreds of other local residents. Unknown vandals painted swastikas and words "Death to the kikes" on a Holocaust memorial in Aleksandriya (Kirovograd region) in 2007. The vandalism took place overnight and was the second such incident in 2007. The police are taking the crime seriously, but that the local prosecutor's office has not opened a criminal investigation. [The Jewish community of Alexandria Chairman Alexander Liberzon plans to restore this cemetery, one of the largest Jewish cemeteriesin Ukraine. [August 2009]
ALEKSANDRIYA I: US Commission No. UA17170101
Alternate names: Aleksandria (Yiddish), Aleksandriia (German), Aleksandrija (Hungarian) and Aleksandriya (Russian). Aleksandriya is located in Rovensky at 24º60 51º30, 25km from Rovno Cemetery: Shevchenko St., 2.3 km from rail street Alexandria. Present town population is 1,000-5,000 with no Jews.
The earliest known Jewish community was 1819. 1939 Jewish population (census) was 2000. Civil War and 1st World War effected town. The Jewish cemetery was established in the 19th century with last known Hasidic Jewish burial in 1940. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery. The isolated urban hillside with no sign or marker is reached by crossing other public property (Shevchenko St..) Access is open to all via wall or fence. 21 to 100 stones, few in original location and more than 75% toppled or broken, date from the 19th century. Location of any removed stones is unknown. The cemetery has only common tombstones and no known mass graves. The municipality owns the property used for Jewish cemetery use, agriculture (crops or animal grazing), storage, and waste dumping. Adjacent properties are residential. The cemetery boundaries are smaller now than 1939 because of new roads or highways and housing development. Occasionally, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors and local residents visit. No vandalism is reported in last ten years without any maintenance. Within the limits of the cemetery are no structures. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access, pollution and vandalism. Slight threat: weather erosion.
Documentation: Smuel Spektor. The Holocaust of Volhyhian Jews. Kirzhner Moisey Davidovich of Lutsk, Pr. Grushevskogo St. 18, apt. 38 [ph: (03322) 34775] visited site on 6/6/95, interviewed Gorbatuyk, and completed survey on 06/07/1995.
ALEKSANDRIYA II: US Commission No. UA17170501
The earliest known Jewish community was 1819. 1937 Jewish population (census) was 1500. Effecting community were Civil War and 1st World War. The unlandmarked Jewish mass grave was dug in 1941 for Jews of this town only. The suburban flat land has no sign or marker. Access is open to all with no wall, fence, or gate. The approximate size of marked mass grave is 0.01 hectares. The municipality owns the property adjacent to "other". Rarely, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors and local residents visit. The mass grave was not vandalized in the last 10 years without any maintenance. Within the limits of the mass grave are no structures. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access and vandalism.
Documentation: Shmuel Spektor. The Holocaust of Volynian Jews 1941-1945 , Yad Vashem. Jerusalem: The Federation of Volyninian Jews, 1990. Rovensky Oblast of Lutsk, Pr. Grushevskogo St.18, apt.38 [ph: (03322) 34775] visited site on 6/8/95 and interviewed Gorbatuyk M.O. on 6/6/95. He completed survey on 06/08/1995.
ALEKSANDRIYA III: US Commission No. UA10050101
Documentation: The History of Towns and Villages of Ukraine Kirovogradskaya Oblast.', Kiev, 1972; Kirovogradshchina in the Years of World War 2, 1941-1945 . Collection of documents and materials, Dnepropetrovsk, 1965.; Jewish Encyclopedia . Other documentation was inaccessible. Khodorkovskiy Yuriy Isaakovich of Kiev, Vozdukhoflotskiy St., N37-A, apt.23 [ph: (044) 2769505] surveyed site on 12/11/1996 and interviewed Grudovoy Inni Victorovni [ph: (05235) 24104] on 05/11/1996. He completed survey on 12/11/1996.
|Last Updated on Saturday, 08 May 2010 02:30|