|ALCHEVSK: Luhansk [Alchevs'k, Alchevskoe, Voroshilovsk, Woroschilowsk, Kommunarsk, Алчевськ]|
Alternate names: Alchevs'k, Alchevskoe, Voroshilovsk, Woroschilowsk, Kommunarsk, Алчевськ [Ukr], Алчевск [Rus]. 48°28' N 38°48' E, 395.4 miles ESE of Kyyiv. This town in the Luhansk Oblast of SE Ukraine in Pereval'skiy Raion, 45 km from the oblast capital, Luhansk, and next to the district capital of Perevalsk. The 2004 estimated population was 120,000. Alchevsk is one of the largest industrial centers in the Donbas. The city economy depends on OJSC "Alchevsk Iron & Steel Works" and "Alchevsk Coke-Chemical Plant" companies.
Fformerly (1931-61) Voroshilovsk or (1961-92) Kommunarsk,this city in eastern Ukraine lies along the railway from Luhansk to Debaltseve. Alchevsk was founded in 1895 with the establishment of the Donetsko-Yuryevsky ironworks, a large, integrated ironworks and steelworks, expanded in the 1950s and '60s. major bituminous-coal mining center with coke-chemical and metalworking industries/.
2001 general population 119,000; Jewish population: About 1000. [July 2009]
The Jewish Community of Alchevsk, Lenin Avenue, Tel: (0642) 53-65-52 [Jan 2015]
US Commission Report No. UA12020101
Alchevsk is located in Luganskaya, 70km from Lugansk and 100km from Donetsk. Cemetery: Alchevsk, per.2-d Oktyabrskiy, 14. Present town population is over 100,000 with 101-1,000" Jews. No local or regional officials given.
The earliest known Jewish community was 1900. The Hasidic Jewish cemetery was established in 1905 with last known Jewish burial 1991. No other towns or villages used this unlandmarked cemetery.
The urban flat land, separate but near other cemeteries, has no sign or marker. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken fence and non-locking gate. 101-500 stones, most in original location with less than 25% of the surviving stones toppled or broken, date from 1905. Location of removed stones is unknown. The cemetery has no special sections. Some tombstones have traces of painting on their surfaces, iron decorations or lettering, other metallic elements, portraits on stones and/or metal fences around graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. The municipality owns the property used for Jewish cemetery only. Adjacent properties are residential. The cemetery boundaries are unchanged since 1939. Occasionally, private Jewish or non-Jewish visitors and local residents visit. No vandalism recorded in the past 10 years. Local/municipal authorities, regional/national authorities and Jewish individuals within country re-erected stones, patched broken stones, cleaned stones, cleared vegetation, and fixed wall and gate in 1994. Now, there is occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals. Within the limits of the cemetery are other structures. Vegetation overgrowth is a constant problem disturbing both graves and stones. Very serious threat: pollution and vegetation. Moderate threat: uncontrolled access and weather erosion.
Zaygerman Leonid of Lugansk, 6th lipnya, 18 [ph: 537018] visited site on 5/29/94 and interviewed Promah Bella Abramovna of Alchevsk, pr. Metalurgov, 40, apt.106 on 5/29/94 and Etigon Mojsey Grigirievich of Alchevsk, per. Volgogradskiy, 13 [ph: 49229] on 5/29/92. He and Promah Raisa completed survey on 05/29/1994.
|Last Updated on Tuesday, 03 February 2015 13:59|