You are here: Home Africa Uganda KOYA
KOYA PDF Print E-mail
Non-Jewish cemetery with probable Jewish burials: website with photos and burial list. TRANSLATION: The cemetery is located on a peninsula in Koya, Lake Victoria, about 60 km E of Kampala, the capital of Uganda. In 1942-1951 this place was a camp for homeless Poles, about 3,000 people. Only the cemetery remains, an area of ​​992 square meterssurrounded by a high wall, about 1.5 m with a metal double leaf gate. The 1,5 meter path in the center divides it into two equal parts. At the end of the lane is a fenced field of ​​approximately 30 sq m with a commemorative monument with the names of deceased. An obelisk towering over a small concrete cross replaced the original large monument that was destroyed. A plaque with the inscription below: "The dead Poles on the way to the Fatherland." After the Poles left the DP camp, the cemetery was razed (with heavy machinery) by the new owners of the land. Today locals say this was done by Jamaican drug dealers who worked opium. A rapid "investigation" concluded with certainty that the cemetery had been destroyed before the Jamaicans arrived. In any event, today there is a fenced cemetery with only the central monument of the 96 names of those buried here. In the 1990s, the first renovation and partial reconstruction of the cemetery was done a Polish priest. John Marciniak. They restored a memorial monument with the names of the dead and restored the inscription: "The dead Poles on their way to the Fatherland" (restored to him on the basis of archival photographs supplied by one of the locals). The gate with pillars was constructed, the path to the obelisk cleaned, and the walls and fence around the central monument restored  Outside a large concrete cross originally overlooking the cemetery.
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution