|MARSHALL: (Harrison County)|
Texas Jewish Historical Society Records, http://www.lib.utexas.edu/taro/utcah/00255/cah-00255.html, http://www.lib.utexas.edu/taro/utcah/00255/cah-00255.html. "Hebrew Cemetery: 3J163 Hebrew Cemetery Hochwald House Weisman-Hirsch-Beil" [August 2005]
Marshall Hebrew Cemetery: at Herndon at Evans Sts. 1881, Marshall Hebrew Cemetery Trust, historical marker. This cemetery of now-defunct Congregation Moses Montefiore is located on approximately five acres of land fronting on Herndon Street (south side), between Wall and Speed Streets. Across Herndon Street is the non-sectarian Greenwood Cemetery.
A large, inoperable iron gate with Mogen David faces Herndon Street and the small pedestrian entrances on either side. The cemetery has iron spike fencing along Herndon Street, chain link along Wall and Speed Streets, and board fencing along the southern boundary. Some of the fencing is overgrown with vegetation. Large and small trees are found throughout the neatly maintained cemetery. Fewer than a dozen practicing Jews remained in Marshall as of the late 1990s. Some are affiliated with either the Longview, Texas temple or synagogues in nearby Shreveport, Louisiana. About one-third of Marshall Hebrew Cemetery remains unused.
Marshall, Texas was founded in 1841 with a few Jews. In 1867, a Hebrew Benevolent Association was established with twenty-five members. Few early Jewish burials were made in the Marshall City Cemetery; most interments were in 1866 Mount Sinai Cemetery of Jefferson, Texas, about 20 miles northeast. The Marshall Hebrew Cemetery was founded in 1881. On 18 December 1881, David and Theresa May and Abraham Heppher, victims of the 1873 yellow fever epidemic who were buried in the Marshall City Cemetery, were re-interred in the new Marshall Hebrew Cemetery. In 1887, the first synagogue in Marshall, Congregation Adath Israel, was founded. The congregation's first president was Daniel Doppelmayer, a Confederate veteran, whose daughter Della later married Rabbi Max Sylvius Handman of the congregation. The Doppelmayers and the Handmans are all buried here.
|Last Updated on Friday, 16 January 2009 22:15|