JEFFERSON: (Marion County) Print

 

See Marshall also.

 

Oakwood Cemetery: Mt. Sinai Jewish Cemetery section. {10824} Alley St at Webster St, 1862, City of Jefferson, 1971+historical marker, 152, 3/1993. 1998 population: about 2,500 with almost no Jewish inhabitants.

Jefferson's Hebrew Benevolent Association, forerunner to Congregation Har Sinai, established Mount Sinai Jewish Cemetery of Jefferson, Texas in 1866. Temple Sinai no longer exists. The well-maintained one-acre cemetery is located adjacent to Oakwood, Jefferson's non-sectarian city cemetery. The main gate is at Line Street at Douglas Street. The Line Street side has is a heavy iron fence with a gate stating in English, "Mount Sinai Cemetery." The southern separation from Oakwood Cemetery is a low concrete wall. The northern boundary with Oakwood Memorial Park is a chain link fence with foliage. The unfenced eastern end is heavily covered in vegetation. Access to the cemetery from inside Oakwood Cemetery is possible, near the southeast corner of Mt. Sinai Cemetery. The only structure within the cemetery is the large Goldberg mausoleum.

Congregation Har Sinai maintained a synagogue at the northeast corner of Market and Henderson Streets from 1875 until about 1900. The rabbi's residence portion and the religious school were built in 1869 as a house later used as a convent. In 1875, Jewish congregation purchased the property and added a chapel. This National Register of Historic Places building, still standing today, is the Ruth Lester Memorial Jefferson Playhouse, a community theater. Mt. Sinai Cemetery also is landmarked. Possibly information may be obtained from Mrs. Albert Bettelheim, 1917 Harvard Dr., Alameda, CA 94501; phone 415-512-6531. Source: Helen Jacobson, 207 Beechwood Lane, San Antonio, Texas 78216.

Last Updated on Friday, 16 January 2009 22:10