You are here: Home United States Tennessee TN KNOXVILLE: Knox County
KNOXVILLE: Knox County PDF Print E-mail

 

http://www.isjl.org/history/archive/tn/knoxville.html has Jewish Community history and photos. [January 2009]

Jewish Knoxville [December 2000]

Knoxville Jewish Community [June 2003]

1919 Jewish population was 350 according to "Directory of Jewish Local Organizations in the United States" pp. 330-583. American Jewish Year Book 5680 September 25,1919 to Sept. 12, 1920; Volume 21 Edited by Harry Schneiderman for the American Jewish Comm. Contributed by Alan Hirschfeld. See also: from Postal & Koppman Jewish Tourist's Guide to U.S. Phila., PA: Jewish Publ. Soc., 1954)

Reference: Wendy Lowe Besmann, A Separate Circle: Jewish Life in Knoxville, Tennessee. Knoxville: University of Tennessee Press, 2001.

 

Synagogues

Temple Beth El: P.O. Box 10325, 3037 Kingston Pike, Knoxville,TN 37939-0325, (865) 584-3521 " Temple Beth El, founded in 1864, is the oldest Jewish congregation in East Tennessee. http://uahc.org/congs/tn/tn003/ [December 2000]

Heska Amuna Synagogue: 3811 Kingston Pike, Knoxville, TN 37919, (865) 522-0701.

 

 

Hebrew Benevolent Society Cemetery/Temple Beth El: {10697} founded 1862 and first used in 1864. This very well maintained Jewish cemetery is on Linden Avenue at Winona. Almost every grave has a Star of David. Many markers have dates for both the Gregorian/Universal calendar and the Jewish calendar. Many markers have long Hebrew inscriptions. This cemetery was recorded March 21, 1990. Four markers, solely in Hebrew, are not included in the list. Source: David Donahue; e-mail: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

 

New Jewish Cemetery: also known as Heska Amuna Cemetery: 2700 Block of Kieth Avenue & Glen Street, NW.

Both Temple Beth El congregation and the Heska Amuna congregation of Knoxville use this very well maintained Jewish cemetery on Glenn Street at Keith Avenue. They maintain separate sections of the cemetery. The cemetery was established in 1890. Almost all graves have a Star of David. Many markers have dates for both the Gregorian/Universal calendar and the Jewish calendar. Jewish calendar dates are omitted on the index unless they are the only ones available. Many markers have long Hebrew inscriptions. This cemetery was recorded in the 1930s as part of the Historical Records Project under the name "Heska Amuna Cemetery." This earlier record appears in "Tombstone Records of Knox County," an unpublished manuscript available in the McClung Collection of the Knox County Public Library. The 1990 record was checked against the earlier record and references made where appropriate. Interestingly, names in English and Hebrew numeral dates have been added to several older markers. Only one marker reported in 1938 was not found in 1990; and one infant marker may be missing. There are no obvious unmarked graves. The gate to the cemetery has a plaque with English and Hebrew inscriptions reading: "In memory of Oscar A. Glazer Sept. 10, 1939." At the entrance to the cemetery is a war memorial. "Dedicated to the Memory of these valiant sons of Israel who, in the cause of justice and peace, made the supreme sacrifice in World War II. Erected by Knoxville Memorial Post No. 340 Jewish War Veterans of the U.S.A. and the Knoxville Jewish Community. May 30, 1948 Iyar 21, 5708" (These names are included in the cemetery listing. [Source?]

http://www.jewishknoxville.org/KJAheska.htm . " Although Knoxville Jewry dates back to Civil War times, Heska Amuna Congregation itself was founded in 1880 ... The original congregation was located in East Knoxville where most of the Jewish community lived at that time. ... Each member of the congregation is entitled to a plot in the cemetery, maintained on Keith Street in West Knoxville. ...A volunteer group of members who perform the purification rituals for the departed according to Jewish law and tradition." [December 2000]

Heska Amuna Cemetery: see New Jewish Cemetery

Last Updated on Wednesday, 14 January 2009 16:34
 
Web site created by Open Sky Web Design based on a template by Red Evolution