|CHATTANOOGA: Hamilton County|
Jewish Community history and photos. "Although there is some record of Jewish settlement in Chattanooga prior to the Civil War, the beginnings of the first Jewish community appeared in Chattanooga in the years following the war. Emigrants Fannie Schwartzenberg Bach and Jacob Bach arrived in Chattanooga in the 1860s from their home in Germany. The Bachs began holding services in their home in 1866, primarily for the Jewish soldiers who remained in Chattanooga following the conclusion of the war. Jacob Bach served as the congregation’s first lay rabbi, cantor, mohel, and shochet (ritual slaughterer)." From a peak of 3800 in 1937, the Jewish populationslid over 40% to 2200 by 1948. [January 2009]
B'nai Zion . 1888. Orthodox, then Conservative. The congregation bought land for a cemetery in 1890 after Mizpah Congregation stopped accepting non-member burials. In the early 1960s, members of B’nai Zion changed the congregation’s affiliation from Orthodox to Modern Conservative and joined the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism. [January 2009]
Beth Sholom. Orthodox. Pisgah Avenue in Brainerd. In 1977, the Beth Sholom building was bombed and completely destroyed by a notorious racist, anti-semite, and psychopath, who was later apprehended and convicted in the bombing and other assaults, including shooting a man outside of a St. Louis synagogue in 1977.They rebuilt in 1977. While the congregation has shrunk in recent years, the members of Beth Shalom continue to worship regularly in their synagogue. [January 2009]
Mizpah Congregation: Mizpah Congregation, Julius & Bertha Ochs Memorial Temple, 925 McCallie Ave., Chattanooga, TN 37403. Reform. "The congregation’s first temple, built in 1882, occupied a lot on Walnut Street near Fifth. The group formally adopted the name of “Mitzpah” (soon dropping the “t” to become “Mizpah”) in 1888. The Hebrew word “Mitzpah” literally translates to “overlook” or “lookout” and most likely refers to Lookout Mountain or the other elevations around Chattanooga. In 1904, they built a new synagogue on the corner of Lindsay and Oak Streets, which served the congregation for the next 24 years" "Julius and Bertha Ochs Memorial Temple opened in 1928 on McCallie Avenue. By the 1920s, B’
see also Wabash
General Whitley County information.
http://www.indianahistory.org/library/manuscripts/collection_guides/M0743.html#HISTORICAL has Jewish and cemetery history. [September 2005]
Greenhill Cemetery: Constitution and by-laws, 1874, minutes, Nov. 8, 1875-Oct. 8, 1885; Oct. 23, 1912-Dec. 31, 1919; and Feb. 11, 1920-Jan. 13, 1931, of the Ladies Hebrew Benevolent Society, Columbia City, Indiana; list of those buried in the Columbia City Jewish Cemetery, prepared July 1973; Microfilm No. 20. Source: AJA. American Jewish Archives, 3101 Clifton Ave. Cincinnati, Ohio 45220-2488. 513-221-1875 (tel); 513-221-7812 (fax). E-mail: AJA contact form List of burials in Jewish cemeteries. n.d.-1973. Vital Statistics file.
burial list. [September 2005]
UPDATE: Greenhill cemetery, in Columbia City, is an odd shaped section of land bounded on the north by East Ellsworth Street, the west by what was the Blue Bell Jean factory and the south by the Blue River and the Blue River Greenway. It is composed of six separate sections: Brown, Masonic, Linvill, Ellabrand, Catholic, and though a block or so to the East, the Jewish. [September 2005]
nai Zion members began to move away from the Carter Street neighborhood, and also began to look for a new structure closer to the congregant’s homes. After a successful fundraising initiative, the group built a new synagogue on Vine Street in 1931." [January 2009]
Shaari-Zion: building shared with the Workman’s Circle. The congregation, Shaari-Zion, persisted for approximately 40 years. In 1941, the congregation had 65 member families and its own cemetery. [January 2009]
B'nai Zion Cemetery: at Hedgewood Drive; founded 1890. Cemetery information available from Mizpah Congregation, Julius & Bertha Ochs Memorial Temple, 925 McCallie Ave., Chattanooga, TN 37403. Reform. http://www.uahcweb.org/congs/tn/tn009 [December 2000]
"In May of 1866, 21 young Jewish men organized a group named Chebra Gamilas Chaced, The Hebrew Benevolent Association, and received a formal state charter the following year. The group purchased a parcel of land for a cemetery at the corner of east Third and Collins Street for the sum of $225. In addition to providing a resting ground for Jewish community members, the association arranged for the bodies of Jewish soldiers fallen in the battles around Chattanooga to be exhumed and reburied in the new cemetery." http://www.isjl.org/history/archive/tn/chattanooga.html [January 2009]
National Cemetery: List of Jewish soldiers killed during the Civil War and buried in Chattanooga, TN; Richmond, VA; Elmira, NY; Andersonville, Georgia; and Louisiana compiled by Melvin Young, Chattanooga, Tennessee, July 1987. See: Hebrew Benevolent Association's Land transfer deed for a new cemetery on June 27, 1867. Documents file; miscellaneous file. Source: AJA . American Jewish Archives, 3101 Clifton Ave. Cincinnati, Ohio 45220-2488. 513-221-1875 (tel); 513-221-7812 (fax). E-mail: AJA contact form .
|Last Updated on Saturday, 17 April 2010 17:44|